• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Charger front in swap to a 72

RedShadow30

Local time
2:41 AM
Reaction score
I am wondering what it would take to put a 1970 charger front end on a 72 charger. Im not trying to make a clone of anything, I just prefer the non-split grill. Ive looked around at several pictures and it seems to be a pretty direct swap, maybe a little molding needed to make it look right. Ive seen many people attempt 70-69 swaps and I figure that doing that would be harder than a 70-72. I have a 72 Charger, with a 1971 hood, just in case that matters with the swap.

A 70 to a 69 isn't that hard. Warner Bros. did it for the Dukes of Hazzard, 68-70 is the same generation car.(almost the same car) 71-74 is a different gen.

If you mean just grill:
the width may be a diff, the 1970 width is: 76.6 in (1,950 mm) (1970), not sure for 72. I also don't know how the grill would match the fenders and the hood.

If you mean fenders and all:
I think it would be very hard, you need mostly all 70 parts from the windshield forward. I see a lot of bodywork. I don't the 71 hood would not fit with the fenders and grill of the 70?

thats my .02

Hopefully someone more experienced will step up.

Yea i should have worded that a little better, im sorry about that. Yes i just want to use the grill of the 70. While i dont mind having the split, i just think it looks better without it. After all the research i did it almost seemed like the 70 charger is its own "generation". I from what i have seen, the grill part itself should match up, i was curious if anyone had done it, or had any tips to do it. I have gotten to see a 70 charger up close and the front end even has a slight point like mine, ive debated just making one, but i cant weld good enough. In short, im building my dream car for me, so i dont care about market value or cost to do it.

I know a guy here that would LOVE to comment on this idea, but I suspect that in the interest of NOT getting banned, he may skip out!
This sounds like a strange proposition, but who knows... Maybe it could work. Too bad you aren't adept at welding and fabrication. You could cut out the divider in your existing bumper and fab up some sort of custom grille using either a modified factory grille from another car.....OR make a grille from extruded aluminum.
THIS is what the Rat Rod and street rod guys do. When no part is being made, THEY make one. I say, do what you want. It may be a good idea to get a spare front bumper beforehand just in case things don't go well. Its good to have a backup plan.

The only problem i can find with that is the curves make it a little hard to make it look natural. The sad part is, i can make anything out of a solid piece of metal, i just cant connect the two, haha. im gonna look further into a 70's grill though. And i dont plan on pulling apart a good charger, just finding a junkyard find or someone selling the part.

Why all the hard work, I would just modify the 72 front bumper! just cut the center divider out up to where the curve should wrap under and make filler pieces that have the correct curve (to follow where the center divider was) and grind it down and re-chrome it! also on the grille I am sure you could find a 70 Grille that is cracked and modify it (may have to cut some out to fit it but I think it's doable. or just sell the 72 and buy a 70. :grin:

I think that once you check prices on '70 Charger grilles, you may decide to go another direction. Last April I saw a nice one in LA for $2500. Yes, I wrote two thousand, five hundred dollars. A busted or cracked one will likely still be $500 and up.

As far as I know the 68-70 and 71-74 are totally different.
You can easily see it without too much effort.
The 71-74 is much more like a stretched E body than a 70 and earlier B body

With that being said, I have seen a 66/67 Charger grille in a 65 Coronet, and it looked like it belonged there.

take a look at the front of a 71 coronet. It might be the look your after, and if you can find one, demand is so low that parts should be free

Auto Transport Service
Back