• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Charger R/T SE Daytona sunroof project is starting soon.

Thanks for your input and information about the sunroof installation. I have another cartridge that is already apart ,can use that one to cut the opening and roll the edges,and not have to disassemble the one I just bought. I am wondering if I should install it with stainless steel countersunk screws so it can be removed and serviced if necessary like the 73 and later sunroof cars are. Thanks for posting the pictures of your car and amazing work.

Thanks for your input and information about the sunroof installation. I have another cartridge that is already apart ,can use that one to cut the opening and roll the edges,and not have to disassemble the one I just bought. I am wondering if I should install it with stainless steel countersunk screws so it can be removed and serviced if necessary like the 73 and later sunroof cars are. Thanks for posting the pictures of your car and amazing work.
You're very welcome. You are going to have to disassemble everything anyway to install the new seals, vinyl top, and the headliner. The cables will need to come out and be cleaned of petrified grease, dirt, leaves and general funk.

All of the inner workings of the sunroof are designed to be installed through the sunroof opening. The aluminum side rails each have a plastic pin on the back that is inserted into holes in the back of the "cassette" and the front sides of the rails are secured with screws through the opening.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
You're very welcome. You are going to have to disassemble everything anyway to install the new seals, vinyl top, and the headliner. The cables will need to come out and be cleaned of petrified grease, dirt, leaves and general funk.

All of the inner workings of the sunroof are designed to be installed through the sunroof opening. The aluminum side rails each have a plastic pin on the back that is inserted into holes in the back of the "cassette" and the front sides of the rails are secured with screws through the opening.

Just my two cents.
I agree that it will need to be taken apart, cleaned and lubricated to install the vynal top and insure proper operation. Fortunately my friend Gary Bieneke is very familiar with how they work and operate as he has them in a few of his cars. I thank you very much for your help, I will need all the help I can get from everyone who is willing to help to get this project done!

I agree that it will need to be taken apart, cleaned and lubricated to install the vynal top and insure proper operation. Fortunately my friend Gary Bieneke is very familiar with how they work and operate as he has them in a few of his cars. I thank you very much for your help, I will need all the help I can get from everyone who is willing to help to get this project done!

I've seen some of Gary and Pam's cars, very nicely done. I'm glad I could be of some help. I really need to actually work on my Sunroof Daytona R/T SE and get it done. I haven't worked on it for a long time. Life keeps getting in the way of my hobbies.

You are very close to being done too,the hard part is in the rear view mirror!

I still haven't unloaded the parts I brought back from Carlisle out of the truck! It is 95 degrees out with 100 percent humidity, so I don't know if I will get it done over the weekend! It's going to take two people to move the sunroof assembly and the Dana 60 rear axle!

There was a time that I used to load and unload Dana's in and out of the truck by myself, but at almost 60 years old,I can't say I'm feeling like doing that anymore!

Well last night at about 7 pm I went out and unloaded the parts I bought at Carlisle for the car from the back of my truck, after riding around for a week with them in the back of the truck. As I said before we are having a bit of a heatwave here with close to 100 percent humidity. So there were two 71 Charger doors, so I brought them up to the loft. Then there was the right door I bought for this car, so I put that in the storage trailer with the car. Then there was the sunroof assembly, which I put on top of my 69 sunroof car, and finally the Dana 60 rear axle, which was heavy and awkward to lift out of the truck and onto my two wheel dolly,but I found out that I can still pickup a Dana 60 by myself, but I am not recommending that it is something that one should do regularly! Lol. By the time I was done my clothes were saturated with all the beer I sweated out! Lol. I hit the shower and called it a night!

Another member posted this picture of the original Sunroof Daytona! This car is so hot! I can't wait to get started on it! Gary and Pam came over today to help me work in the garage today,and Pam said I need to put all my other projects on the back burner and get this wingcar built!

3093597C-68D7-4CB0-B9F1-4F815AFB4A3F.jpeg

I made some progress on the car today! I ordered a new set of Dynacorns new cast aluminum 15x7 inch magnum 500 wheels for the car. Another member on here put them on his 70 Charger,and he put one next to his original road wheels and they are the closest to a stock magnum 500 wheel I have seen in appearance! I got the from a Mustang site called Stang-Aholics,$752.00 for the set with center caps,free shipping. I already bought 4 Goodyear Polyglass F 60 15 tires for the car.

Just found out the wheels I ordered are out of stock,they are saying a ten to twelve month wait before they arrive! I don't know how any businesses can survive operating like this,selling products they don't have in stock! No one else has them either! It took almost a year for my interior pieces to come in from Legendary Interiors,and they make their own products! My friend waited for more than six months for headers from TTI,like Legendary,they couldn't get the materials to make their products!

The original car didn't have Cragars. I have a full set of 5 with knock off center caps on my 71 Challenger convertible, I could just use those and put the rallye wheels back on the Challenger if those were the correct ones.

20220522_130902.jpg

20200613_171929.jpg

It's a nice cruiser. I have a 70 plum crazy Challenger convertible that I need to get finished too. It's a 383 automatic car. It has white interior, a white top and white side stripes. It's under the 71 Cuda.

20220501_200829.jpg

20220501_215922.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back