• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 floor shift column foam seals

burnt70

Local time
6:16 PM
Reaction score
Almost finished my steering column and realized there is 2 foam bushings I’m missing. DMT sells them, but was wondering if anyone has used anything readily available with any success? Or maybe didn’t replace them and had no issues? Thanks for for any suggestions and help.

They're white flexible foam, maybe 1/8" thick (?). You could use some "packaging wrap" (not bubble wrap, very small foam wrapping) and be fine. You could also use RTV in my opinion too

Yep, may as well use some of the dense packing foam, as the one from my DMT seal kit on the column firewall flange has already melted and deformed. Should have kept my 50 year old OE seal that was still in pretty good shape.

Thanks for the replies, rereading my post I should have been more clear on the seals I need. They are the foam seals inside the column. One goes just above the bottom white plastic bushing on the column lock tube. The other is smaller and goes inside the end of the lock tube. Apparently they are to prevent fumes from traveling up the column and inside the car?

Auto Transport Service
Back