• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Coronet R/T Lower Column Bushing/Bearing Options available?

shanker

Local time
5:06 PM
Reaction score
I've got a 70 Coronet R/T that I'm working on and was wondering if there's a solution (that my numerous searches haven't found yet) similar to bearing SER205-16 that other folks with column shift cars are using?
SER205-16.jpg

Or should I just stuff some foam between the key interlock shaft and the steering shaft?

SteeringColumnLower01.jpg

Yeah, that bearing works nice, but you need to use a spring retainer from a Duster I believe
to keep it in place??? I bought a spring that fits in that groove, and I had to take a die grinder
and put two more "slots" in the column so it could locate the bearing.

Yeah, that bearing works nice, but you need to use a spring retainer from a Duster I believe
to keep it in place??? I bought a spring that fits in that groove, and I had to take a die grinder
and put two more "slots" in the column so it could locate the bearing.

this is a 1970 Column from a 70 Coronet R/T, so it's floor shift, the extra part I have is for the key interlock (the part that makes it so that you can't put it in gear without the key in the run position or remove the key with the transmission in gear.

Been a few years since I've been into any 68-70 steering columns but is there not already a lower bearing in the steering column...that yellowing plastic one in your pic I believe? Why do you need a second lower bearing, or are you wanting to replace that lower bearing with a ball bearing type bearing as opposed to the bushing style bearing?

en a few years since I've been into any 68-70 steering columns but is there not already a lower bearing in the steering column...that yellowing plastic one in your pic I believe? Why do you need a second lower bearing, or are you wanting to replace that lower bearing with a ball bearing type bearing as opposed to the bushing style beari

There already is a bushing between the key interlock shaft and the outer shaft....I was just looking online for options for the steering shaft itself.

Oem. The only thing in between the shaft and the shift tube is a black foam seal.

For my 65, I had a delrin bushing made up that I'll slip up into the tube before the new seal/bushing unit goes on.
IMG_2338.JPG

Because I already had some silicone foam laying around after using it as a firewall gasket material for the HVAC box on a 74 Ramcharger, I cut a strip that fit pretty good around the steering shaft that was 1" tall, sprayed Fluid Film all into the cavity, then applied grease and slid it in there. It accomplishes what I wanted :)

SteeringColumnLower02.jpg

So I was installing my column today and noticed some grinding noise while turning the shaft! WTF!
I took the SER205 brg. out and found that the spring was contacting the inner metal shield on the
bearing. The shield turns with the inner race, or the same as the shaft. The problem is that the spring
is stationary! So after all of this I'm putting in the original nylon P.O.S. Later I will make a spacer to
keep the spring away from the shield. ARGHHHH! In the first pic you can see the scrape mark on the shield
20240303_135403.jpg
20240303_135416.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back