• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Hemi Superbird Restoration..................errr.....scratch that........

I can't wait to see the end results of your hard work, this is going to be beyond BADASS!

Thanks for all the kind words. It's going to be a long ride getting this thing together and, as always, life will get in the way. I would like to have it on the road and the track for summer 2016 in whatever rolling condition it happens to be in at the time. Once I get through this metal work, I'll start the tubing work. I had a buddy loan me his bender and we're getting that up and running now. We'll start with the nose mounts and then the turbo mounts, then the cage. It should be fun!

I got my two hours in tonight. No major milestones but I did get the right side door jamb holes filled. It had the same issues as the left.

What an amazing build thread! Really love how you explain what stage you are at as you post. Brilliant mate!

I had to go degree in a cam in a 500" so the only thing I got done is making this little patch.
A91EA573-FE88-4AB4-9543-9688E919F640_zpsow1lfdex.jpg

After that, I thought it would be a good time to clean up the mess. I gathered all the tools and piled them on my work cart. Pretty handy and one of the few things worth buying at Harbor Freight. The most important tool is setting up on top of the welder!!
174EA2D1-D9EA-4F1D-94B7-F00885113A06_zpsjc9cgzph.jpg

Lol, HF stuff is not that great but they do have a few things to make life better in a shop, however with a gravel floor, and lots of sand lol, the wheels are to small to work good for me... :) Oh well, i make due in every circumstance, Makes it interesting anyway! lol... in a small shop, you keep things picked up and put away OR you don't work to long rofl... Good work with the patch, i like doing them when everything clicks right, i seem to keep running out of stuff, all part of it i guess but fun it is and i don't even have a HEMI!!!! YET! lol, maybe someday... :)

The right quarter panel needs to go on, so that will be the project for this weekend. I removed the seat belt mount on this side as well as finished up the coating work. I got a few of the plug weld holes drilled in the quarter panel, but it's not quite ready. I'll finish that up tonight.
DE4C7518-54D0-473C-8658-8EA71E3B12B7_zps2g1xejq9.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

79B3984C-BCB4-4725-8AAD-1FB8160033AF_zpss3v0sqse.jpg

Awesome!

Proper job there with all that rust protection going on.

Bud Light: Key ingredient.

Just found your thread through another member, and all I can say is "insane"! Seeing what little you actually started with makes me feel like a slacker when it comes to my Fury.
Love the mad fab skills and can't wait for more updates.

Oh yea, "subscribed".

Bud Light: Key ingredient.
Yes indeed. Can't get that at Harbor Freight!

- - - Updated - - -

Just found your thread through another member, and all I can say is "insane"! Seeing what little you actually started with makes me feel like a slacker when it comes to my Fury.
Love the mad fab skills and can't wait for more updates.

Oh yea, "subscribed".
Welcome aboard. My dad taught me that you can move mountains two hours at a time, several days a week, over several years so I keep plugging away and try to work on it a couple of hours a night. Tonight was finishing up the right side quarter panel and getting it ready to install. All of the 8 million little plug welding holes have to be drilled and the E-coat has to be removed on both sides of the metal anywhere you intend to weld. It's really a huge PIA, but whatever, it goes with the territory. I started by trimming up and drilling holes in the little corner piece.
F25915A8-5491-46E7-877A-337DC9C45638_zpsimgblqgk.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Next up was the quarter panel. There is a surprising amount of time spent drilling holes and cleaning off the E-coat. Huge pain and lots of uncomfortable positions but it's done.
C376A2BE-AF37-4EA2-9947-A5DA22DFC796_zps8o2p1vyq.jpg

H-Runner You have it covered good bud, I am hoping to get my trunk done and be where you are now soon, You are making some great progress, keep on man, summer going to me a good time coming!!!

The car is ready for the quarter panel install so I'll get on that this weekend and we'll have a bird with two feathers on it...
07DECA3D-5DE6-47CD-9093-B010501785B3_zpsbaavi9z3.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

One of the things that I need to do before getting ahead of myself, is to go back and finish installing that patch.
385C603C-EEF5-4C4F-99FC-35663DE88414_zpsxsi3giid.jpg

28B2FB2F-5185-4B3C-BE0B-5B0B0DC2DD88_zpsc6m9sd7k.jpg

Done! Now on to something else.

- - - Updated - - -

For a taste of what it will look like, I sanded the crud off the primered door and gave it a shot of flat black.
Gonna be sexy in hot rod black!
2C099ABC-0436-4D51-96E3-555D7FE7BE49_zpskrgfzt1p.jpg

"Gonna be sexy in hot rod black!"

I do think you may be right! Lots of different ways to go and im thinking this will look more "HOTROD" Mopar style then anyone can believe.. cool...

I think I missed something ,,, looking at wheel well pics, did you mini tub this ? And also on the outer wheel house it looks like you removed the " hump"?

I think I missed something ,,, looking at wheel well pics, did you mini tub this ? And also on the outer wheel house it looks like you removed the " hump"?
Yes, you missed it. If you go to page 1 and read it all, you'll see where I did a 3" inboard mini-tub and then a bit later on page 1, I noted the changes to the tub, which I call the 2-1/2" maxitub job and I posted a link to that thread that I had started before this one. I took all of the "hump" out of the outer portion of the wheel tubs and squared them off. It was a lot of work but will be well worth it in the end.

I like it! He can protect my investment! :eek:ccasion14:

- - - Updated - - -

Lol, HF stuff is not that great but they do have a few things to make life better in a shop, however with a gravel floor, and lots of sand lol, the wheels are to small to work good for me... :) Oh well, i make due in every circumstance, Makes it interesting anyway! lol... in a small shop, you keep things picked up and put away OR you don't work to long rofl... Good work with the patch, i like doing them when everything clicks right, i seem to keep running out of stuff, all part of it i guess but fun it is and i don't even have a HEMI!!!! YET! lol, maybe someday... :)

Gravel floor would make my cart into a stationary shelf!! It doesn't roll all that well anyway.

Auto Transport Service
Back