• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'70 Reverse Lockout / Ignition Interlock

MoparHonda

Local time
8:16 AM
Reaction score
I have a '70 GTX with the four-speed. The reverse lockout/ignition interlock is missing, so I bought the parts from Brewer.

The parts book and service manual don't give a lot of info.

Would someone have the time to get under a car and snap some pictures of the reverse lockout/ignition interlock? I'm most interested in exactly how this is attached on the transmission/bellhousing end.

(Car is stock, no modifications from original.)

Page 21-72 to 21-74 in the 1970 Plymouth manual shows the setup.

The interlock is a switch (located under the dash associated with the clutch) that the grounds out a circuit when the clutch is depressed (I have the same on my 70 Road Runner).

My father-in-law is big on getting rid of the interlocks. Why? Well, you are pushing on the clutch which pushes the flywheel forward in the engine. This puts a force on your thrust bearing while starting the engine with no oil pressure.
So learn to start the car with the transmission in neutral and with the interlock permanently grounded!

Just my $0.02

Thank you, Davek & 69Bee. Thank you, Hsorman, did not know that about the thrust bearing and lack of oil pressure on start up.

Thank you, Davek & 69Bee. Thank you, Hsorman, did not know that about the thrust bearing and lack of oil pressure on start up.
Lots of cars have gone many, many miles with the interlock and without trashing their bearings. But I would rather protect my engine as well as I can, especially since it is not an everyday car and can sit for awhile between starts.

Auto Transport Service
Back