• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'70 RR clutch question

Mr. B5

Local time
3:00 AM
Reaction score
I just got my new RR and the clutch pedal seems to be engaging very high (nearer the top of the travel) .
I sold my '70 GTX over 40 years ago, so I don't remember how the clutch felt.
It is a fresh rotisserie resto with a stock 440+6 clutch.
Can I adjust it so it releases perhaps midway, which I am more used to, or is this normal?
Also, where is clutch cable located if it needs adjustment - underneath near the tranny?
Is it just a nut I have to loosen and adjust?

Thank you.

Last edited:
there is a rod with a nut at the clutch fork on the bell housing. Is there any freeplay on the pedal at all?

I can push it down an inch or two before hitting resistance.
It actually stays down, and I can pull it up that distance.

we have the opposite problem, Mcleod clutch wont disengage until it hits the floor, tried adjuster with no luck. thinking about lengthening the clutch rod. we also are having trouble with clutch fully engaging. anyone got any tips? thx, bob

I can push it down an inch or two before hitting resistance.
It actually stays down, and I can pull it up that distance.
You need to find out what pressure plate you have.
Diaphragm=No pedal over-center spring.
Three finger Borg & Beck (standard) retains the spring.

I have a new Mcleod diaphragm in my 70 RR, 383. Grabs at about 80% up.

My '70 RR RB/4-speed does the same thing! As did my 340/4-speed in my Challenger. Is this just a "Mopar" thing? The clutch in my '69 GTO grabbed about 1/3 of the way up off the floor. The Mopars are both the opposite - They don't grab until 2/3 up. And there is about 1-2 inches of pedal travel before anything "happens". And every once in a while the pedal will release, but not come up that last inch or so.....

Auto Transport Service
Back