• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'70 RR firewall hole ID

wwheel

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:40 PM
Reaction score
I have managed to figure out what every hole and cutout is for on my '70 RR. EXCEPT for one! It is a 4-speed, w/ air grabber, no a/c, manual brakes and steering, Rallye dash w/ a 440+6.

The hole I cannot figure out is in between the speedo hole (7/8") and the oval cut out for the clutch rod boot. It is .406" (13/32") in diameter. Can anybody help determine what this hole is for?

Thanks!

1667966203666.jpeg

GTX firewall.jpg

I don't believe there is one on my car firewall......someone must have drilled out your car for something extra.

Thanks for the replies. I knew I needed a picture and can't get it until Thursday. Just hoping it was something stupid I was missing. I didn't see the hole I have in any of the pics here. This interior was mostly disassembled when I bought it, so with details like this, I wasn't able to document.

BTW, what is that clamp holding the speedo cable on dadsbee pic? Looks like it is on the torsion bar cross member. I'll get the pic Thursday.

BTW, what is that clamp holding the speedo cable on dadsbee pic? Looks like it is on the torsion bar cross member.
It holds the speedometer cable clear and prevents it rubbing on the exhaust and dragging on the road.

It is actually welded to the floorpan.

Got it on the clip. I welded in new pans and forgotten I had transferred the clip to the new pan.

I think I figured out what the small hole is. See attached pic. I believe it is for the clutch switch wire that goes to the starter relay. Engine won't start on a '70 4 speed unless the clutch is depressed. I saw this hole on another '70 4 speed and that is what it was for. With that one, the .455" hole was above the speedo cable hole. Maybe they moved it during the production year.

incorrect hole.jpg

Got it on the clip. I welded in new pans and forgotten I had transferred the clip to the new pan.

I think I figured out what the small hole is. See attached pic. I believe it is for the clutch switch wire that goes to the starter relay. Engine won't start on a '70 4 speed unless the clutch is depressed. I saw this hole on another '70 4 speed and that is what it was for. With that one, the .455" hole was above the speedo cable hole. Maybe they moved it during the production year.

View attachment 1371259
I have a 1970 Road Runner (October 69 build in California). My wire that requires the clutch to be depressed does not come out there. I do not have that hole - I think someone added the hole to your car.

Here is a picture from when I was restoring mine. All holes here are factory with the exception of the heater hose area. I added Classic auto air so there are two additional holes for that on he left side. All others are factory originals.
IMG_3481.JPG

I think I figured out what the small hole is. See attached pic. I believe it is for the clutch switch wire that goes to the starter relay.
I'm going to disagree there.... the three dimples around the right-hand side of the main bulkhead connector hole are where the Tachometer and Clutch switch wiring enter the inside of the car. One dimple is punched out for the tacho, and another for the clutch switch.

The dimples are the idiot-proof locater for the guys on the line to make additional/optional holes as required for the car.

Since there is no dimple between the clutch rod hole and the speedometer cable hole, it stands to reason there was never any intention to make a hole for a very common optional extra. So therefore, it would be an aftermarket or Day-2 hole put there by a former owner.

I get what you are saying about the dimples and that makes sense. However, see attached picture. This is an original '70 383 4 speed RR. That is for sure the clutch safety switch wire coming out. Correct green color as shows on the wiring chart. He also shows all the attachments even to the start relay. That position makes more sense instead of up high since the switch is much lower than the tach. Not sure why my hole isn't where his is, but oh well. The hole on mine looks to be very clean and not half assed.

I don't claim to be an expert, but that sure sure looks correct to me given the 383 pic. My car is a documented 4 speed and the hole that is there is the only hole left on the entire firewall. Pretty much has to be the switch wire.

Regarding Hawk rod, Mine is a Feb. '70 build and for sure has the clutch switch and came with the car. Yours would be considered an early car and mine much later. Do you have the clutch safety switch? If so, where does it come out? I wonder if that was a mid year change?

24ACC6F0-A867-40B2-9EBD-7ECC73A16FB5.jpeg

My 70 Charger 4 speed car built at St. Louis Feb 70:

Looks like the holes on the purple car are reverse location for some reason....interesting

IMG_6402.JPG

IMG_6458.JPG

Regarding Hawk rod, Mine is a Feb. '70 build and for sure has the clutch switch and came with the car. Yours would be considered an early car and mine much later. Do you have the clutch safety switch? If so, where does it come out? I wonder if that was a mid year change?
My car has its numbers matching driveline, so it has been a four speed car all it's life. I was the first to restore it, but it led a hard life - especially the wiring. Many "hackers" over the years tried to modify stuff. I just took a look at old pictures before I restored it and that wire had been messed with.
The short answer is I cannot provide you with a definitive answer with my car.
Here is what it looked like before I restored it.
20110228_6.JPG

Looks like the holes on the purple car are reverse location for some reason....interesting
Maybe built on Monday morning? The upper position makes more sense. It would be interesting to get more pics with build dates and see if the switch was implemented sometime during '70 or the whole model year.

Auto Transport Service
Back