• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Superbee Center Hub Too Short

A tiny bit, sure - but I'd submit that the lugs offer their holding/wheel retaining strength in the horizontal
(not weight bearing) as opposed to the hub being meant to bear the actual weight forces (vertical) being applied.
How many cars run the magnum 500 wheel? Look at the backside of one of those.

The clamping force of the lug nuts holding the flat surfaces of the back of the wheel to the hub holds the weight. The taper of the rim/lug nut centers the wheel so it rolls true.

The shoulder of the lug stud (x5) also supports the weight.

It should be relatively easy to find that five 1/2 inch bolts of grade 8 or what ever the studs are rated at are indeed strong enough to support 1/4 of the weight of the car, and the associated stresses and torques.

The threaded area of the stud, however, is not designed to do that, as the threads reduce both the diameter and the strength.
The thread are designed for the clamping force, as stated earlier.

If the center hole of the wheel does not sit on the axle center- that's not really a big deal, as explained by several above vis a vis- uni-lug and the "Magnum 500" argument.

The stud shoulder area IS a big deal.

Find lug studs with the proper shoulder depth and call it done.

Last edited:
How many cars run the magnum 500 wheel? Look at the backside of one of those.
I have them and I have.
In fact, the only reason I haven't bought the Wilwood disc conversion is because it doesn't get along
with the center caps of the Mag 500's.

"In summary, hub centric and lug centric wheels describe how the wheel is mounted to the hub of the vehicle. Hub centric wheels provide a more secure and stable connection, while lug centric wheels rely on the lug nuts to center the wheel on the hub. Hub centric rings can be used with lug centric wheels to fill up the gap between the hub and the wheel, creating a more secure and stable connection. This helps to reduce vibrations, wobbling, and other issues associated with lug centric wheels."
Hub Centric vs. Lug Centric Wheels: What's the Difference?

The "Magnum 500" argument in this thread is to illustrate that cars with those wheels are not only "lug centered" but also "lug weight bearing".

Auto Transport Service
Back