• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Charger hood clearance

66HOTROD

Local time
12:29 PM
Reaction score
I put an Edelbrock Performer intake on the 440 with a low profile air cleaner and am running in to hood clearance issues. Would a "power bulge" hood offer more clearance or do I need a scoop? Any suggestions appreciated.

The power bulge hood offers more clearance. I have a fairly tall intake/carb/air filter setup. I like the look, but the downside is no cool air. The engine is sucking in hot air from under the hood.

Not sure about the 440 but my 71 with a 340 has the air grabber scoop and there is very little clearance for the air cleaner, the only one that would fit is a little 9” round cleaner. I unfortunately do not have the correct cleaner for the grabber hood

Spectre makes several air-box with remote filter styles.
Mike

You may be able to use a air grabber oval with the lower sitting 440 base. I have a torker 340 which sits pretty tall on a 340 demon and it gave me more hood clearance than a stock air cleaner and is able to pull plenty of air.

IMG_20180821_234818.JPG

You may be able to use a air grabber oval with the lower sitting 440 base. I have a torker 340 which sits pretty tall on a 340 demon and it gave me more hood clearance than a stock air cleaner and is able to pull plenty of air.

View attachment 690734
Not to hijack the thread or anything but do that make that style air cleaner for a single 4 barrel or just the 6 pack?

My '71 with a 400, Thermoquad, and Performer intake, the air cleaner wing nut would hit the flat hood when the engine torqued in its mounts. I replaced the wing nut with a hex nut. Eventually, I found a bulge hood and put that on.

Auto Transport Service
Back