• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Charger SE build

Softer on da arse?

That and the original foam is not what it was when new. It looks good but the covers would fit loosly and look like crap. I see so many cars with new seat covers with wrinkles and I don't want that look. I believe in spending a little more time and effort and getting right even if it's only a lowly 71 Charger.

Note to self: add 1/2" foam to seat bottoms on top of good existing foam. "LOWLY 71"? Wish for a 71 over 72, SMOOTHER SIDES imo. LOOKS GOOD JEFF.

That’s some meticulous work. I wish my 71 was as clean as yours. I’m gonna start a build thread myself while I follow yours!

Passenger seat is done. Same process as the other side. Now working on detailing all the small parts to assemble.

IMG_2619.jpg
IMG_2620.jpg

It works for me on both the computer and phone. Site changes the URL link to a media tag even though I insert a URL. Kinda wish I could bypass that...

I will PM you the link but I bet it does the same thing in PMs.

All I did this weekend is drive it. Next weekend the interior will start getting buttoned up. Getting close now so the 74 is starting to get some attention finally.

IMG_2631.jpg

What do you use to glue the trunk weatherstrip on with?

Note to self: add 1/2" foam to seat bottoms on top of good existing foam. "LOWLY 71"? Wish for a 71 over 72, SMOOTHER SIDES imo. LOOKS GOOD JEFF.

AFAIK there are no differences between 71 and 72 body panels, other than the fake vents on R/T and Rallye doors.

I agree that there is nothing "lowly" about the 3rd gen Charger. It's only fault is that it had to follow the best looking car of the muscle car era, and the aerodynamicists smoothed 20% of the beauty out of it. At least it went on to become one of the all time great NASCAR racers.

What do you use to glue the trunk weatherstrip on with?

AFAIK there are no differences between 71 and 72 body panels, other than the fake vents on R/T and Rallye doors.
3M Black Weather Strip adhesive. https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40069430/ Good stuff.

They also went to the generic side markers in 72 so the quarters and fenders are different too.

How many tubes of that does it take?

Really wish Chrysler hadn't changed the side markers. It doesn't seem like they could have saved enough money for that to be worthwhile. The fender tooling on every car would have to be changed.

How many tubes of that does it take?

Really wish Chrysler hadn't changed the side markers. It doesn't seem like they could have saved enough money for that to be worthwhile. The fender tooling on every car would have to be changed.

One is more than enough to do 3 or so cars. I still have some left from multiple projects.

Hit a stone wall. Vinyl top is lifting from being out in the sun. I used the 3M super 90 adhesive but it is not holding. I had to pull the headliner top back at the rear windows to remove the nuts for the top trim. Ordered some DAP top adhesive and will try to re-glue it. Damn I don't want to wait a year for a new top from Legendary... Any thoughts on cleaning things up and laying it back down?

IMG_2643.jpg

Hit a stone wall. Vinyl top is lifting from being out in the sun. I used the 3M super 90 adhesive but it is not holding. I had to pull the headliner top back at the rear windows to remove the nuts for the top trim. Ordered some DAP top adhesive and will try to re-glue it. Damn I don't want to wait a year for a new top from Legendary... Any thoughts on cleaning things up and laying it back down?

View attachment 1358249
Really hard to see in the pic. Be careful peeling it back up, it can stretch and deform the grain. Good luck, sorry to hear.

If you're other option involves destroying the current vinyl top . . .

Perhaps this would work -

I am pretty sure I can save it, just will be a tedious process.

Auto Transport Service
Back