• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Charger shoulder belt retaining clip help needed

70chall440

Local time
3:36 AM
Reaction score
I want to install my headliner but I need to figure out where all of the screws and such are so that I can put all of the various items on after the headliner is installed. I have these 2 wedge shaped brackets that are spot welded to the car to which the retainers attach. I found what I thought were the retainers, 2 of the 4 seem to fit but the other 2 do not, better said I cannot understand how to attach them. I have looked at the FSM as well as the assembly manual and online. I understand how they are "supposed" to attach but mine do not seem to be the right ones. I have seen retainers similar to mine stating that they are for a 71 B body but I am missing something and I am hoping that someone here can help.

Here are pictures of what I have, as you can see 2 of the retainers have a folded up piece with a tang and a hole which I think means the tang goes in one hole and a screw in the other. The other retainers do not have this folded up part so I don't know what the deal is there but my first instinct is that they folded up bits are broken off.

IMG_8869.jpg
IMG_8870.jpg
IMG_8871 (1).jpg
IMG_8871.jpg
IMG_8877.jpg
IMG_8878.jpg
IMG_8879.jpg

I want to install my headliner but I need to figure out where all of the screws and such are so that I can put all of the various items on after the headliner is installed. I have these 2 wedge shaped brackets that are spot welded to the car to which the retainers attach. I found what I thought were the retainers, 2 of the 4 seem to fit but the other 2 do not, better said I cannot understand how to attach them. I have looked at the FSM as well as the assembly manual and online. I understand how they are "supposed" to attach but mine do not seem to be the right ones. I have seen retainers similar to mine stating that they are for a 71 B body but I am missing something and I am hoping that someone here can help.

Here are pictures of what I have, as you can see 2 of the retainers have a folded up piece with a tang and a hole which I think means the tang goes in one hole and a screw in the other. The other retainers do not have this folded up part so I don't know what the deal is there but my first instinct is that they folded up bits are broken off.

View attachment 1574376View attachment 1574377View attachment 1574378View attachment 1574379View attachment 1574380View attachment 1574381View attachment 1574382
You are correct in assuming the retainers without the folded piece have been broken off. If you have never removed these from the roof rail before, it can be a frustrating experience releasing the plastic piece from the retainer. Someone took a "short cut" and pried the piece over to expose the screw thus cracking off the mount. One tang and one screw hold these on. As you can see there are little tangs that hold the plastic piece to the metal bracket which must be pried loose to disassemble the belt mount. Properly folded over without the plastic piece you can see how these will fit to the welded piece. Then the plastic slides over the metal bracket "clicking" in place. Sitting in the car with your arms held up trying to disconnect the plastic can be a real pain. Particularly if you've never done this before.

You are correct in assuming the retainers without the folded piece have been broken off. If you have never removed these from the roof rail before, it can be a frustrating experience releasing the plastic piece from the retainer. Someone took a "short cut" and pried the piece over to expose the screw thus cracking off the mount. One tang and one screw hold these on. As you can see there are little tangs that hold the plastic piece to the metal bracket which must be pried loose to disassemble the belt mount. Properly folded over without the plastic piece you can see how these will fit to the welded piece. Then the plastic slides over the metal bracket "clicking" in place. Sitting in the car with your arms held up trying to disconnect the plastic can be a real pain. Particularly if you've never done this before.
That makes perfect sense, thank you for the very informative answer. I can make up some new "folded up bits" and weld them on.

Just an FYI when searching these pieces I believe 71 has it's own clip set-up... 72-up have a different mounting clip.

So here is a quandary, I was in the car and noticed that one of the retainer clips was still there bc one screw would not come out. I was able to get it to come out finally but noticed that the plate was far smaller than the other ones I have. The one on the right is the one that was in the car. So there must be a number of versions of these things?

IMG_8882.jpg

Two versions on 71-4 B-bodies. Early 71's have the clip like on the right and late 71's ones have the other style and continued for a few years. Your car must be an early build. PM sent

Last edited:
@Nacho-RT74

Thanks, I bought the second link, they were cheaper and closer.
I am about 99% sure they won't with the brackets you have in the head liner they are the 2nd generation ones for a 71-4 B-body.

You don't think the ones I bought will fit or work?
Not with the current brackets that are in the roof rails that would be under the headliner.. I believe they are different too. I don't have any photos but @moparmarks probably does...

Not with the current brackets that are in the roof rails that would be under the headliner.. I believe they are different too. I don't have any photos but @moparmarks probably does...
I see what you are saying after looking at the metal pieces. I just bought some of the smaller clips from eBay but now have to hunt down the plastic bits.

I found several versions of these setup on ebay, but I posted just the ones meeting the ones you shown on pics.

unfortunatelly I’m not full documentated on this specific topic about the roof clips variations. Never thought they could be diff actually.

All 4 of my 71's are the small ones you just posted. I have some spare plastic covers but I think they are the later ones like you bought as my parts car was built in January. The clips left with the carcass when I got rid of it. All the little parts I keep wishing I had taking off that thing...

All 4 of my 71's are the small ones you just posted. I have some spare plastic covers but I think they are the later ones like you bought as my parts car was built in January. The clips left with the carcass when I got rid of it. All the little parts I keep wishing I had taking off that thing...
'71 charger interior finish 1.jpg
My LA built '71 SE. Scheduled production March 1971. These are the clips that were still in the car when I dragged it home. Never realized that there were running changes.

Well now I have an abundance of the large ones... :( and of course none of the small ones...O will figure something out here. I need to look through my E body stuff and see if I have anything there.

Auto Transport Service
Back