• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Charger Superbee Tribute/Restomod Build

70chall440

Local time
12:17 AM
Reaction score
I bought this car several years ago and have been storing it as I worked on several others. Finally last Wednesday (10/5/22) I was about to get it into the shop and begin the build. I wanted to do this build thread to document the work and hopefully the progress in addition to getting help when needed. I have already purchased a lot (read most) of the parts needed for this build and have shelves full of stuff.

Background: This car started life off as a mundane 318 AT AC PS PB vehicle. It was B5 blue in and out and other than the AC and rear window defroster does not seem to have had much in the way of options. I purchased the car from a guy in AZ who had owned the car for some time and had been collecting parts for quite awhile. The car was/is completely disassembled but is relatively rust/damage free (I will go over that along the way). The car was already converted to manual (hump installed) and I received quite a lot of parts for the car to include a date correct 383, a A833, pedals, rally cluster, etc.

Intent: My intent for this car is to make a driver, not a show or race car. I want it to be very reliable, start, run and stop well. I want to do a Superbee tribute because I have never had a Superbee and this is kind of a 2-fer, I get a Charger and a Superbee.. LOL. I do not intent to paint the car any time soon (for several reasons) but may eventually. If/when I do paint it I will most likely paint it B5 again even though this is not my favorite color (don't hate it, just not my first choice). I say this because I am going to paint the engine compartment and trunk in B5 so if I paint the exterior I guess it should match. I will be installing the 71 front and rear spoilers. I intend to put my stamp on the car with some different items and choices that will be uniquely mine. I thoroughly enjoy building these cars and love to do things a bit different. I will also be installing a new AMD air grabber hood.

Engine: I am going to be using a crate 5.7 (which I have already) and will be changing out the cam and springs for ones out of a 6.4. I am going to use TTI headers, Holley oil pain, Holley front plate, and will control the engine with a Holley Terminator X max system. I am using TTI motor mounts.

Trans: I am using a TKX 5 speed kit from Silver State. I will be installing the mid rise pistol grip without a console.

Rearend: I am going to use the stock 8.75 with 3.55:1 SG gears. I am using the stock (but modified) leaf springs and some Assassin traction bars

Suspension: I am using a Borgenson steering box, 1.14 Firm Feel T bars and Firm Feel front end rebuild kit/stuff. I am using QA1 single adjustable shocks on all 4 corners along with Hellweg sway bars front and rear. I am going to be using steel 15" wheels front and rear with the little hub caps. Front will be 15x8 and the rear 15x10. My plan is to use at least a 295 in the rear, haven't decided on the front.

Brakes: Currently I have a Wilwood set for the front and rear but I am currently rethinking that and am thinking about designing my own system. I will be using a homemade Hydroboost brake system.

Interior: Interior will be "stockish" in that I am going to be installing bucket seats and a buddy seat. I have 2 sets of stock Mopar buckets but I also have a pair of new Procar seats that I will mock up. I will mounting the shifter in the forward position and using the mid length pistol grip. I have the rally instrument cluster but I have been told that Dakota might be coming out with a new 71 B body cluster next year and if they do I will have one of those. I will install sound deadener throughout the car, going to use some black stuff off Amazon.

Well thats probably enough for an intro, I don't know how long this build will take but it will take as long as it needs. I have 2 other cars to build once this is "done" so I do want it finished at some point. I will post some pictures as I know how everyone likes them.

68670991055__00549A47-67E7-464F-8C0E-3A6F9301D072.jpg

IMG_2299.JPG

IMG_2323.JPG

IMG_6186 (1).jpg

IMG_6189.jpg

IMG_6194.jpg

IMG_6195.jpg

Here is something I don't remember seeing before on a Mopar, looks to be a harmonic dampener. Its heavy as crap.

IMG_6199.jpg

I bought this car several years ago and have been storing it as I worked on several others. Finally last Wednesday (10/5/22) I was about to get it into the shop and begin the build. I wanted to do this build thread to document the work and hopefully the progress in addition to getting help when needed. I have already purchased a lot (read most) of the parts needed for this build and have shelves full of stuff.

Background: This car started life off as a mundane 318 AT AC PS PB vehicle. It was B5 blue in and out and other than the AC and rear window defroster does not seem to have had much in the way of options. I purchased the car from a guy in AZ who had owned the car for some time and had been collecting parts for quite awhile. The car was/is completely disassembled but is relatively rust/damage free (I will go over that along the way). The car was already converted to manual (hump installed) and I received quite a lot of parts for the car to include a date correct 383, a A833, pedals, rally cluster, etc.

Intent: My intent for this car is to make a driver, not a show or race car. I want it to be very reliable, start, run and stop well. I want to do a Superbee tribute because I have never had a Superbee and this is kind of a 2-fer, I get a Charger and a Superbee.. LOL. I do not intent to paint the car any time soon (for several reasons) but may eventually. If/when I do paint it I will most likely paint it B5 again even though this is not my favorite color (don't hate it, just not my first choice). I say this because I am going to paint the engine compartment and trunk in B5 so if I paint the exterior I guess it should match. I will be installing the 71 front and rear spoilers. I intend to put my stamp on the car with some different items and choices that will be uniquely mine. I thoroughly enjoy building these cars and love to do things a bit different. I will also be installing a new AMD air grabber hood.

Engine: I am going to be using a crate 5.7 (which I have already) and will be changing out the cam and springs for ones out of a 6.4. I am going to use TTI headers, Holley oil pain, Holley front plate, and will control the engine with a Holley Terminator X max system. I am using TTI motor mounts.

Trans: I am using a TKX 5 speed kit from Silver State. I will be installing the mid rise pistol grip without a console.

Rearend: I am going to use the stock 8.75 with 3.55:1 SG gears. I am using the stock (but modified) leaf springs and some Assassin traction bars

Suspension: I am using a Borgenson steering box, 1.14 Firm Feel T bars and Firm Feel front end rebuild kit/stuff. I am using QA1 single adjustable shocks on all 4 corners along with Hellweg sway bars front and rear. I am going to be using steel 15" wheels front and rear with the little hub caps. Front will be 15x8 and the rear 15x10. My plan is to use at least a 295 in the rear, haven't decided on the front.

Brakes: Currently I have a Wilwood set for the front and rear but I am currently rethinking that and am thinking about designing my own system. I will be using a homemade Hydroboost brake system.

Interior: Interior will be "stockish" in that I am going to be installing bucket seats and a buddy seat. I have 2 sets of stock Mopar buckets but I also have a pair of new Procar seats that I will mock up. I will mounting the shifter in the forward position and using the mid length pistol grip. I have the rally instrument cluster but I have been told that Dakota might be coming out with a new 71 B body cluster next year and if they do I will have one of those. I will install sound deadener throughout the car, going to use some black stuff off Amazon.

Well thats probably enough for an intro, I don't know how long this build will take but it will take as long as it needs. I have 2 other cars to build once this is "done" so I do want it finished at some point. I will post some pictures as I know how everyone likes them.

View attachment 1354649

View attachment 1354650

View attachment 1354651

View attachment 1354652

View attachment 1354653

View attachment 1354654

View attachment 1354655
Nice project just finished this in spring 6.4 hemi A41 trans Gerst front suspension. I will follow your build good luck love how mine drives.

I am currently talking to Vintage Air about a complete system for the car. I have a Griffin radiator for it and modern Challenger fans.

View attachment 1354649

View attachment 1354650

View attachment 1354651

View attachment 1354652

View attachment 1354653

View attachment 1354654

View attachment 1354655
Watching! Wish we were closer so we could go at this side by side. I guess Dakota Digital took all the extra money I gave them to make me a custom set of gauges and are going to sell them to everyone now! Ha! Not that funny though. Are you going to make the air grabber functional? I have an awesome idea for it with the 5.7 but the 6.4 I have is going to be a bit expensive but I think worth it.

C6F4764C-7234-4E64-9BEB-44A26198C154.jpeg

So you have DD make your instrument cluster?

Yes I am going to make the AG functional, I am going to make it electric. I am also going to try and built a custom air box that feeds into the throttle body but looks like an old school oval air cleaner. It will depend on how much room I have above the engine but we will see. My intention is to mock everything up probably several times before putting it in for good.

Yup! DD made that setup for me. All going to be ran off OBD and GPS. I’ve got my air grabber setup electric too. You should check out this intake for the 5.7. Looks like you might be able to adapt it for the air grabber fairly easy.

0EDC08AF-2F2B-42B2-843A-619C041149DE.jpeg

Could you share your air grabber set up with me?

I have that air cleaner on my 14 Ram 2500 and its great. It will not work on the Charger because it comes off the TB which is pointing straight up whereas on the Charge (which is using a car 5.7) the TB points out the front. I guess I cold swap a truck intake on but right now I would rather not.

I am sure that DD cluster was not cheap. A friend of mine had them customize one for him for his Cuda and he was telling me how expensive it was, but they were modifying one they already made so it had to be cheaper than what you did. I hope that when they come out they look factory rather than using the GM fonts like they did with the E body ones originally.

Could you share your air grabber set up with me?

I have that air cleaner on my 14 Ram 2500 and its great. It will not work on the Charger because it comes off the TB which is pointing straight up whereas on the Charge (which is using a car 5.7) the TB points out the front. I guess I cold swap a truck intake on but right now I would rather not.

I am sure that DD cluster was not cheap. A friend of mine had them customize one for him for his Cuda and he was telling me how expensive it was, but they were modifying one they already made so it had to be cheaper than what you did. I hope that when they come out they look factory rather than using the GM fonts like they did with the E body ones originally.
I will try to get the air grabber put back together this week for some pictures. We might be able to talk to my contact at DD and see if they can make another set for a decent price since it’s not “custom” anymore.

I already communicated with DD and the response was "we cannot divulge future projects but watch our website the first few months of 2023"...

I'd really appreciate any pictures/info you can share on the AG. I have an idea but if you have already done it then it would be great to see.

I hope to begin work tomorrow on the car, I will install the subframe connectors and torque boxes then move on to some body repair. I had to get my welding/fab table sorted out today and tomorrow I have to adjust some pushrods in my buddy's hot rod but then onto the Charger

68696542483__792FBA12-25D0-4596-81A9-5F70468A51D6.jpg

IMG_6196.jpg

Finally began work on the car in earnest, started cleaning the floor and got the right rear torque box in.

IMG_6213.jpg

Next up is some body repair, I need to fix some pin holes in the drivers side floor pan and need a couple of patch panels on the rear lower quarter panel.

In case anyone is wondering, the bottom of the car is going to get some bed liner once I am sure I don't need to do anymore fabrication under there.

Started on repairing the body, I was able to weld up some pin holes in the drivers side footwell and am now onto the passenger quarter. The PO had cut out what he thought was the the majority of the rust but after stripping it back further discovered more pin holes and weak spots, so I just removed the entire lower quarter and will replace that.

IMG_6236.jpg

IMG_6238.jpg

IMG_6240.jpg

IMG_6245.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back