• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Charger Superbee Tribute/Restomod Build

Very nice. What power train are you going to install? Body color, and interior? You might have stated that before, I missed it.

The plan is to make a very reliable, fun and capable daily driver type car. Essentially everything will be new or redone except the exterior. It will have a air grabber hood and the 71 spoilers front and rear. Not planning on painting the exterior anytime real soon but when/if I do it will be B5 which is the original color. Here are some of the "details" for anyone interested

2019 5.7 Hemi crate engine
6.4 Cam and springs
TTI headers
Holley Terminator management system
TTI engine mounts
Remote oil filter
Holley front accessory plate with Holley 150A alternator, PS pump and AC compressor
Griffin 3 core radiator
Modern Challenger dual electric fans
Modified fuel tank - adding an in-tank fuel pump with a baffle
3/8 feed and return fuel lines with -6 AN soft lines (Fragola series 8000 push lock)

TKX 5 speed trans (kit from Silver Sport)
Silver Sport bell housing
Silver Sport hydraulic TB/clutch
Silver Sport clutch, PP and flywheel
Silver Sport trans cross member
Forward shifter location and will use the 71 mid length pistol grip

8 3/4 rear end (stock) with 3.55 SG
Modified rear springs with poly bushing in the front, solid on the rear
Firm feel adjustable front left hanger
Slider rear leaf supports (replace the shackles)
Hellweg rear sway bar
QA1 single adjustable shocks
Assassin traction bars
Rear disc brakes (have Wilwood but might go a different direction)
Wheel Vintiques black series 63 wheels with 295 tires (not sure which yet) with Dodge hubcaps

Modified stock K frame (welded with PS box bracing)
Firm feel front suspension components
Borgeson PS box
Hellweg front sway bar
QA1 single adjustable shocks
Firm Feel 1 1.4 torsion bars
Modified lower control arms
QA1 tubular upper control arms
Front disc brakes (have the Wilwood system but might change direction)
Mopar 15x8 steel wheels (not sure the tire size yet) with Dodge hubcaps

Brake MC will be a Mopar unit
Building a hydroboost system
Hella headlights
Stock side and turn lights
First place auto front and rear spoilers
AMD air grabber hood
USCT subframe connectors and torque boxes
Homemade under fender braces and perhaps radiator core support
Stock front bumper and grille
Stock rear bumper and taillights (the non RT kind)
Ron Francis wiring harness (not sure if I am going use this or not)

Black interior
PROCAR seats (maybe, I have them but need to see them mocked up)
Mopar buddy seat
Stock glass (roll up windows)
Mopar tilt wheel (I have 2 and will try and get one to work)
Stock rear seat
Legendary door panels
ABC dash pad
Stock instrument cluster with tach (or Dakota Digital if they come out with one)
Classic auto UA-740 stereo
Kicker subwoofer
Kicker amp
6x9 rear speakers (TBD)
Dual 3.5 front speakers (TBD)
Vintage Air AC system
Stock rear window defrost system
Black sound deadener throughout entire car
Semi auto antenna

The exterior will remain pretty much stock with 1 red fender and such but we will see.

I am sure this is far more than anyone wants to read but hey, now its out there.
:lol:

Last edited:
Got the final body repair (at least as far as I know right now).

IMG_6256.jpg

IMG_6258.jpg

Everything is relative I guess. I am going to take a little time off from working on the Charger so I can work on a 70 RR for a buddy in Australia who is visiting, we are trying to get the car ready for the engine (528 Hemi) and ultimately shipment to Australia.

That was a nicely done metal patch!

If I may ask what tilt columns are you attempting to fit??

If I may ask what tilt columns are you attempting to fit??
I have 2, one is from a 71 Charger and the other is from a C body of some type but both are column shift. My objective is to make one work while removing the AT column shift components.

I suppose I can provide an update...

I have not worked on the Charger much over the last week and a half or so due to other requirements, specifically I had to work with my buddy on his 70 Roadrunner. This car will be exported to Australia when done (running/driving only) but we are waiting on the engine (572 Hemi) which is being built in WI. We were able to get quite a bit done such as install the fuel system, remove and replace the front suspension, get the tires mounted, install/fit the brake system, etc. He is leaving today so I will get back to the Charger soon (I have to rewire an ATV for my neighbor this week).

Here are some pics from the Roadrunner

IMG_6336.jpg

IMG_6338 (1).jpg

68920364958__ACB8DF46-EBAF-4B0B-A40F-313B00A5B026.jpg

IMG_6324.jpg

IMG_6350.jpg

IMG_6341.jpg

I was able to get a little work done on the 5.7 for my Charger, I swapped the cam out for a 6.4 unit which required replacing the springs as well. The cam went in without an issue, however I ran into a problem with the springs, on the left head there are 1mm shims under the springs which wasn't an issue, the new springs went straight on, however on the right head there were locators under the springs that the new springs would not fit over :cursin:

Of course I started looking for shims only to find out that I could not buy just the shims, I had to buy a spring repair kit (8 of them) which includes a spring and a shim...

I finally got them and reassembled the engine and then spent several hours trying to get the cam chain (timing marks) sorted out. It seemed like no matter how I aligned the marks they were off slightly which resulted in contact with a valve, so it took some back and forth to get it sorted but we finally got it. From there I have begun installing the mid plate kit.

IMG_6311.jpg

IMG_6314.jpg

IMG_6297.jpg

I was finally able to get a little work done for the car, I was able to get the mid mount kit installed onto the 5.7. I really like this kit however it did take a bit of work to get it installed. I also installed the Holley oil pan but I ended up having to order a Holley dipstick. All in all it worked out and I like the result.

IMG_6406.jpg

IMG_6411.jpg

IMG_6412.jpg

IMG_6413.jpg

I decided to get the radiator fitted bc I am going to be making some bracing under it. The radiator is a Griffin and is quite thick.

IMG_6457.jpg

IMG_6458.jpg

69162206266__135F4747-D03B-4677-BA0A-368136D6CD90.jpg

I ordered and received a lift plate from Motion Race Works, they state that the plate is for a Hellcat but I thought I could make it work and probably could but it would be more work than its worth. I have an idea for a lifting apparatus that I will make when I get around to it. The main problem is there are limited bolt holes available in the front, there are 2 but the one on the left side is pretty blocked by the front cover.

IMG_6460.jpg

The radiator is a Griffin and is quite thick
Really nice pushing the cooling package to the outer boundary of the panel. Cooling is one of those things where too much is just right, so the tin work is worth it.

David

Next I am going to make a lower radiator core support brace to tie the front of the frame rails together.

Been spending some time trying to get the rest of the reinforcement work done, I got the radiator core support done

IMG_6472.jpg

IMG_6474.jpg

IMG_6475.jpg

IMG_6477.jpg

IMG_6479.jpg

IMG_6482.jpg

And today I was able to finish one side of the under fender and lower frame bracing, I will hopefully get the passenger side done tomorrow.

IMG_6505.jpg

IMG_6506.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back