• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Charger Superbee Tribute/Restomod Build

This is my 72 roadrunner/6.4 SRT with hooker headers sit up close to the body although they go close to the torsion bars

IMG_20230210_161059_1.jpg

Its been a long 2 weeks but we were able to essentially build a running and stopping car. Got the 572 in, had to do some slight surgery to the floor pan but got it sorted. I cut down an old 4spd hump and made it fit the floor nicely (IMO).

For those really looking, the shifter is in the E body location on a 70 B body, this is what the owner wants and despite my reservations I think it worked out very well.

The engine fired up pretty easily and we had a tuner dial in and adjust some things. It is still pretty cold blooded but it is angry and you can feel the power waiting to be released.

Here are some pics

IMG_9443.jpg
IMG_9444.jpg
IMG_9449.jpg
IMG_9450.jpg

A few more pics. The car should be heading to Australia in the next few months.

We are running 3" exhaust which fits pretty well and he ordered a CF drive shaft for it.
IMG_9483.jpg
IMG_9484.jpg
IMG_9488.jpg
IMG_9489.jpg
IMG_9494.jpg

Looking good what state is it for .
What mufflers did you use i am using 3" Hooker Aero chamber with cat 5 cats which you have to have for licencing in WA also have to keep to less that 92 DB noise level for WA i think other states are different that going to look hot.

Looking good what state is it for .
What mufflers did you use i am using 3" Hooker Aero chamber with cat 5 cats which you have to have for licencing in WA also have to keep to less that 92 DB noise level for WA i think other states are different that going to look hot.
Queensland

We used Magnaflow mufflers and system. It has a nice rumble but definitely isn't loud. I am going to attempt to put some videos on YT, if I do I will post the link.

Well I don't have any updates on my Charger because I was consumed by the building of the 70 Roadrunner, then I bought another 4 post lift so I had to go and get that, then install it. Installing it was a bit convoluted because I had to get my 70 Challenger out of the shop along with my 73 Cuda.

The Challenger fired up so I was able to drive that out, but the Cuda did not want to play (fuel pump isn't working for some reason). All that said, I was able to get them out and get the lift put in.

Then I had to get the Cuda back in, much easier said than done mainly because it has 315s in the back and I think 215 in the front. It does not roll well so it took some effort to get it onto the lift. I had to get a small winch and build a mount so I could pull it onto the lift which worked well.

I also got a bonus with the lift, I got a very HD transmission lift as well as a oil recovery tank (think you drain your oil into). The lift had a bunch of pans as well as 2 lift plates which allow you to put a jack on and lift the car when it is on the lift.

IMG_9561.jpg
IMG_9562.jpg
IMG_9563.jpg
IMG_9565.jpg
IMG_9566.jpg

I also decided to revisit my 70 Challenger before continuing on my Charger. I bought this car in 2000 as a rusted POS in a field. It is a real U code RT AC PB PS AT car. It took me 4 years to get it running, driving, stopping and painted and it was the first car I had built in over 20 years and really the first car that I did body work and paint on. I learned a lot but my skills were not what they are today.

The short story is that I left a lot of things undone or poorly done so I have decided to address many small things and get this car presentable and something I am happy with. The car has a lot of good parts in it to include a 440 EFI 6 pack, decent brakes, etc. but there are a number of small things that need to be fixed or made better.

On this point, the Dodge Challenger was the car that got me interested into Mopars back in 74 when I was 14. I absolutely fell in love with the body style and lusted after them ever since. I bought my first one in 78 and have about 10 since, every year but 72 as well as a 2010 PCP 6 spd RT Classic.
IMG_9559.jpg
IMG_9568.jpg
Rebuild 2.jpg
RFBENS.JPG

Another issue....

Some time ago I decided to use essentially stock Mopar bucket seats reupholstered with better foam in the Charger. However, I ran into a problem in that the foam I bought is actually for a 70 Cuda or a 70 Challenger (cloth) seats. So I needed to either get different foam or different covers... I elected to get new foam ($440....) but in going through this thought process I realized that stock seats are not what I want in the Charger.

So I decided to use the Procar seats I bought in the Charger and I will recover the Stock seats and put them into my Challenger.

1713803044323.png

I also need to get rid of a bunch of parts and stuff I have that I will never use. I've got 2 x 383's, some suspension crap, etc. I need to put up an ad on CL or something...

Auto Transport Service
Back