• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Coronet Wagon

We hit the power tour and there were COUNTLESS wagons, talking 15-20% at the stop we made. This one is super straight, a couple minor rust repairs done previously. I did well on the price for a car with 19k miles and the roadworthiness. I haven’t really shown a lot of pictures but the interior is very nice. The ad I found for it was advertised at $5500 where the previous owner bought it. My other wagon is a 72 and I did very well on it but these have gone up considerably, to the tune of there’s a 70 in the classifieds that needs restored initially advertised at 12k and sold in 8k neighborhood which seems to be common now.

I’m not sure about the 440 in a B body. C-body probably. I’ve never seen a true 440 Third Gen B body wagon and by my measurements, there’s 1 7/8” from the air cleaner to the hood on a 383, meaning a 440 would be VERY tight.

Not exactly Clark Griswald but close enough.

E3E1EA55-F7E1-4A87-8D15-B02CE47CF7AE.jpeg

We hit the power tour and there were COUNTLESS wagons, talking 15-20% at the stop we made. This one is super straight, a couple minor rust repairs done previously. I did well on the price for a car with 19k miles and the roadworthiness. I haven’t really shown a lot of pictures but the interior is very nice. The ad I found for it was advertised at $5500 where the previous owner bought it. My other wagon is a 72 and I did very well on it but these have gone up considerably, to the tune of there’s a 70 in the classifieds that needs restored initially advertised at 12k and sold in 8k neighborhood which seems to be common now.

Yeah wagons certainly have gone up a bit. Sounds like you did well on the price! Glad you found something that the whole family can fit in and you can have lots of adventures in.

I’m not sure about the 440 in a B body. C-body probably. I’ve never seen a true 440 Third Gen B body wagon and by my measurements, there’s 1 7/8” from the air cleaner to the hood on a 383, meaning a 440 would be VERY tight.
On a sedan/wagon, I guess the clearence between an RB engine and hood will be about the same than on Chargers with flat hoods.

This thread wasn’t to argue about things that don’t matter or for someone to demonstrate their knowledge of something 50 years old that they don’t own. Your comment is very similar to the one you made in a thread about motor mounts where I was offering information to a member that was asking for it but you felt the need to chime in to correct me with comments based on what you thought you knew and then revisited the subject after finding out that you were incorrect. I ignored it as no one likes someone saying “ I told you so”. I didn’t say it wasn’t possible but I still have never seen an actual U code 71-73 Coronet Wagon.

Last edited:
sorry, I wasn't trying to be offensive if you took it on that way... I'm just analizing the situation to get the conclusion it is posible and how or why, hence I said "I guess". Never said they came out with or without 440s ;).

BTW satilite73 also talked about the same from its personal experience, so, why my comment is wrong ?

Then If I'm wrong on something, I don't have a problem to admit it. Usually when I say I THINK, is mostly an opinion, that could be wrong or right

Awesome looking 71! I recently picked one up as well and yours is in MUCH better shape. haha!

Let me know where you find a windshield, as I also need one!

I would love to have a wagon. Room for my dogs. Room for lumber. Plus, I just really like them !

I love my '72 Satellite wagon. "MID-sized" car, 2 way tailgate (swing or drop). I can fold the back seat, and fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood - with the tailgate closed!!!! And, if I need to carry extra stuff, I can flip up the floor of the trunk and fill THAT with tons of...well...anything. Mine's a 6-passenger, not a 9-passenger, so there's no third seat...but there IS the big hole under the trunk where it would have been! (Fuel tank is in the drivers quarter panel between the wheel and the taillight; spare tire and jack are in the passenger quarter panel).

IMG_20150426_175545_790.jpg

50yrs hasn’t been kind to the headliner insulation. I have new material to cover the boards with but the main reason for removing the headliner is to install seat belt shoulder mounts for the rear seat. The heater core has been leaking….since Nixon, so I pulled the box out. I had to take the front seat loose to get it out without removing part of the dash. The seal/foam kit is on the way. I’m really good at taking things apart.

04A2E850-3EA0-4FBB-989B-66396A1E9D1E.jpeg

FD7F361C-98ED-4110-A262-8A873A79B6CD.jpeg

I drove the wagon a little over 2k miles the first year and the 383 is serviceable and runs fine but a little more fun could be had, so I also have a transplant in store but it won’t happen until after Christmas as the wagon will be in a Christmas parade, Christmas Vacation style.

2C5BACDC-2CFC-49DC-849D-CDCB167D7B7B.png

Last edited:
I finally pulled the heater box to replace the heater core so that I could have heat. It’s reinstalled with all new gaskets and seals and while I had the seat out, I installed new three point seat belts in the front, pulled the headliner and welded in rear seat shoulder belt mounts. I recovered the headliner boards with original material and installed new insulation on the roof.

E46D9ADA-0984-4FA2-A119-C3713D2D9B00.jpeg

988E0C98-47A3-4033-A6B5-40A4E436D12E.jpeg

A0D6DAE7-2E34-4C6B-AB6F-063D5D19736D.jpeg

333F56AE-DB10-4565-9E36-C7A4DAE72509.jpeg

7DBFFD24-0E37-4D70-88A8-4F97A7967F1B.jpeg

Headliner is in. One of the retaining strips was broken when I acquired it and has been screwed but it lets the board sag. I don’t know of a replacement.

3F5E8511-A63F-4B52-9C44-FECDB0925967.jpeg

9E0837DB-8AA2-41FE-8C6C-5353F84B915D.jpeg

Looking very nice.

The coolest things about survivor cars is you can drive and enjoy them with fewer worries, just like you’re doing.

Keep it up!

I am really digging it Caleb !! How's the interior ? I might be interested in a trade !

Looking good! I added 3 point belts to my wagon, but I moved the upper mount to the B-pillar like the '74-'78 wagon/sedans had.
This pic was taken back when my wagon was my daily. I built a crude speaker box to help hold up the headliner as well as have someplace for speakers. The mounts were down behind the window trim. A better box needs to be built that doesn't hang down so far.

belts.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back