• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Dodge Colt build

Funnykarman,

Was your colt an animal? Did you get to drive it at all? Curious what that was like w the blown 440.

Thanks,

Blake
YEP drove it a lot drove it to work and back , about 50,round trip , 0 to 100 in 7 seconds in second gear . 4:10 gear with 32 inch tall tires , turning about 3000 at 68 mph . In third gear at 35 mph and floor it would break the rear tires loose and it would go sideways . It did not like hot weather anything over 85 and it would puke out the over flow . Had a lot of fun with it .

Last edited:
A friend of mine wanted to build a colt . We found a 1974 model , put a fatman front end under it and used a Chris Alston rear clip . He used a small block . car was ruff when he got it but turned out real nice .
colt44 001.jpg
colt45 001.jpg
colt48 001.jpg
colt46 001.jpg
colt47 001.jpg
colt49 001.jpg
colt44 001.jpg

i was at vegas a few years ago looking to buy one after i sold mine this one had a tunnel rammed 383 auto tubbed tubed you name it the guy had a 4 speed in it but went back to auto coz he said at mid track the car kept lifting ,my 71 had a 2.6 2 webbers and a 4 speed plenty o fun on the streets sold it to scott harvey

Hi glassman,

Hope all is well.

What can you make for a 71 dodge colt?

Thanks,

Blake

Hi Blake, this is Stan from Texas. Just found your build thread, glad she found a good home.
Here is your car when I picked it up in Tucson AZ.
z5.jpg

Here is the one I bought that allowed me to sell yours.
IMG_0024.JPG

And the engine fitment going on right now.
IMG_0047.JPG

I got my fiberglass hood from Glory Days in PA, let me know if you need some contact info. Real good stuff. Also there is a guy I am friends with on Book of Faces FB, who says he can make the glass also. Keep up the good work, it looks like you have a good start on it.

Hi Blake, this is Stan from Texas. Just found your build thread, glad she found a good home.
View attachment 964720

View attachment 964721

View attachment 964722

I got my fiberglass hood from Glory Days in PA, let me know if you need some contact info. Real good stuff. Also there is a guy I am friends with on Book of Faces FB, who says he can make the glass also. Keep up the good work, it looks like you have a good start on it.

View attachment 964720

View attachment 964721

View attachment 964722

Hey Stan,

Your colt is a real deal Hardy built racer. Beautiful car man. Thanks for selling us the colt, she’s in good hands.
Funny you mention Glory Days because I just bought a glass hood and front bumper from Glory Days...should arrive soon.

Hopefully the quality is decent...we shall see.

Good luck with your build. I dig the aluminum slant.

Blake
Cincy Ohio

Hi glassman,

Hope all is well.

What can you make for a 71 dodge colt?

Thanks,

Blake
I shamelessly told people that I have some Colt molds here at Sled City. These are the John Holt Race Cars molds that built the two Colts around Chicago. One of those cars is the latest Rod Shop Colt. The front fenders and nose piece is all one piece and then there is a hood mold too. These parts are extended a few inches, and needs to be cut down buy the car builder. I have the trunk mold also and it too needs to be cut down for width because the Rod Shop car is about 6 inches wider. I have a dash mold. I have the outside door skins. Compared to the b-bodies, these molds are rarely used. I also have a set of acid dipped doors that came off the original red Rod Shop Colt and still lettered in gold leaf. Colts are neat.

Blake, did you get your hood?
Mine, cowl style weighs 19 lbs, with no scoop.
Any progress?

Auto Transport Service
Back