• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 GTX Dana Install

71GTXdragpack

Local time
2:50 AM
Reaction score
Hi all,
just removed the 83/4 and installed the correct Dana60 on my GTX. Once I torqued the wheels on, the wheels are extremely difficult to turn while off the ground. If I take loosen the torque on the wheel nuts, it seems to improve.
There was no binding or issues with the 83/4 however I did install a new set of shoes while everything was apart. Could the shoes be out of spec and interfering with the drum?
The brakes are adjusted and there's no tension on the emergency brake cable.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Karl

This is easy to check.. Take the wheels off and see how it spins. IMO it sounds just like you said the brake shoes are wrong and hitting the drum..

tighten the drums to the axel without the wheels and see what happens

maybe spray a little paint inside the drum and see if it leaves marks

This isn't the first time I've heard of something like this happening........and do one wheel at a time to see it that makes a difference.

Start by taking both drums off and turning it to establish a baseline. Did you use the same driveshaft and is it hooked up?

tighten the drums to the axel without the wheels and see what happens

maybe spray a little paint inside the drum and see if it leaves marks
Start by taking both drums off and turning it to establish a baseline. Did you use the same driveshaft and is it hooked up?
same driveshaft but was shortened to match the correct length.

I had a similar situation on my Charger.
I pit the brakes from my old 8-3/4 on my new Strange S60.
The drums interfere with the shoes AND the backing plates.
It was worse with new drums than with the old onse so I am using the old drums.
I put a .060" wheel spacer between the drum and the axle, and that eliminated the interference. But then over last winter I saw that the wheel studs were starting to bend, so I took out the wheel spacer and put shims between the axels and housing. I don't really like how this fits, but it did eliminate most of the interference.

The root cause has to be a diference in the length of the axles from the retainer out to the wheel mounting flange. I'm not sure what the correct fix is other than buying the entire Dana brake setup.

Karl, I just had the same thing happen on my Runner.
Brake shoes were Chinese made - even with the star wheel turned all the way in they were still tight when the drum was installed.
Lucky for me a friend of mine gave me a bunch of extra parts when he sold his 73 Runner and a set of older Wagner rear shoes were part of the package.
I switched out the Chinese one for the Wagner's - no more issues.

I think the issue with the aftermarket shoes is the areas where the wheel cylinder arms touch and where the adjuster wheel touches needs to be ground back a bit to allow the shoes to pull inwards a bit more, thus allowing the drum to go on smoothly.

Auto Transport Service
Back