• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Satellite leather dash project

Michael789

Local time
9:21 AM
Reaction score
20140521_201625.jpg20140521_201629.jpg20140521_201638.jpgI finally started my leather dash project.I'm taking it a section at a time to allow the glue to set. I'm going to be making some relief cuts tomorrow to finish the top along with a fix on a small crack that is wanting to show a small bulge in the leather. Here's a couple of photos, I think the grain is a good match as well.20140521_201521.jpg

I like it, do you have any before pictures? What kind of glue are you using?

Nice job on the Satellite dash!

A little concerned about the relief cuts, will they be somewhat visible, maybe a heat gun and stretch the leather and glue in place slowly, using something stronger than 3m adhesives I hope, gorilla glue or???

I have one small crack in my pad, was thinking about the dash cover in the future, or if I ever tear my entire dash out, maybe to do a heater core, I might try something like that, already have leather seats, leather should be a lot more forgiving than the vinyl as well.

Cool project! Im wondering how youre getting the contour on the area shown to lay right, water / heat? The area between the vent area and the area over the gauges. Yes, what type of adhesive are you using? The grain pattern and your work look great.

Don't waste your time with a cover. I put a cover on mine, less than 2 years later it cracked right down the middle. I wish I would've kept my original pad with a couple cracks as is. I've been going through hell trying to find a nice dash pad for our cars. No matter what, stay away from Alan Foxx at dashmasters if you are looking for a reproduction.

A little concerned about the relief cuts, will they be somewhat visible, maybe a heat gun and stretch the leather and glue in place slowly, using something stronger than 3m adhesives I hope, gorilla glue or???

I have one small crack in my pad, was thinking about the dash cover in the future, or if I ever tear my entire dash out, maybe to do a heater core, I might try something like that, already have leather seats, leather should be a lot more forgiving than the vinyl as well.

I was talking about one of those dash covers that goes over your existing dash pad.

I like it. I had the upholstery shop do my dash pad in the same leather as my interior, came out nice.

The process that I'm using is implementation of working very slowly ! I place the leather especially in the folds of the dash and stretch and work it into place with continued rubbing, it will lay where you want it to.Heat is not necessary for a good stretch you use water on leather but I've found I haven't needed to do so yet. The glue I'm using is 3M super strenght 90. If you use it correctly it works fantastic. So the process is simply work and stretch the leather in small sections, glue that secton and rub it in and make sure there is no lifting, then walk away and come back tomorrow and work some more.At this point now that you have glued the valley of the dash you can now stretch it tight without it pulling out and start going toward the top next. It's just a matter of working slowly and letting the glue set over night but the most important thing if you want good results is to take your time and don't rush.Relief cuts are necessary to get rid of some of the wrinkles, work these wrinkles to corners and up to the dash speaker areas and cut there it works great, another good cut area is where the dash light mounts in under the dash .Just work it slow, when I get it done I'll post the finished job.

Last edited:
I was talking about one of those dash covers that goes over your existing dash pad.

I know, so was I, that's what I put over my existing dash pad and that too cracked. I should have just left the dash as is until I found a real replacement dash pad.

I'm keeping an eye on this project, really nice work so far.

I'm sure it will be nice when done, I think the only way I would do it, is if I had a non-running car, or an extra beat up dash to do, I'm not taking my car down for any long length of time unless absolutely necessary.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back