• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 340 rebuild help with cam /push rods ECT

Bb70charger500

Local time
2:24 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys I don't come in here to often (mechanical section)
As I'm a green horn when it comes to engs !
I've re sealed engs and can determine if something bad ECT but getting things to work perfectly (no boom) no clue !
So
I have a 72 340 out of my charger this motor was rebuilt before and already has good stuff in it ! But it's sat for many years since rebuild only ran little here and there.
I got the eng pulled apart and decided to be safe I'll get it dipped and honed throw a set of rings and bearings at it . Decided to put a bigger cam in it the one that's in it says 280/280 on the end .
The Pistons rods all look brand new still
The heads are factory with bigger 2.02 valves already done and 1.5 roller rockers
I'm attaching the papers I got with car there's some eng information on it about what was done ect . I known the machine shop will get me the rings and bearings I need or at least give me numbers .
Not sure if I need to replace push rods and springs with cam upgrade or ???
I'm also attaching the cam I'm thinking would work .
It's a street car I want a bit of chop will have a 4 speed behind it and 3.55 gears out back
Rpm intake and 750 carb up top headers not picked out yet
Also if important this is a factory Forged crank motor.im told it's been balanced.
Screenshot_20200324-014726.png
KIMG0174.JPG
KIMG0173.JPG
KIMG0172.JPG
KIMG0171.JPG

why such a long exhaust?
you might like the 274HL better oh wait stock heads hl does not help and the only place you need the extra exhaust
-headers?
whose 280? otherwise might as well say 3/4
with the limited flow the only way to more power- to a point- is duration but that implies higher rev range-lower gears etc
what pistons? or whats your compression? gears etc
you might consider b3' fix for your rocker geometry

Last edited:
Trw Forged flat top Pistons. The sheet it came with says 10.5-1 compression

Says the cam that's in it is comp can Magnum 290-480

more like 9:1 with those heads and thick gasket
that's a much bigger cam
if the motors still apart measure your deck ht and cc the heads and figure your compression
if you do that you ay want to ask aj ovr on fabbo to run some numbers for you
why use chevy cams in your mopar
if you do have 9:1 the 274 hl migt work better even if you do not need as much lift as any of these cams give
you geet more lift quicker trapping more compression
you might want to use the ,028 mr gasket

more like 9:1 with those heads and thick gasket
that's a much bigger cam
if the motors still apart measure your deck ht and cc the heads and figure your compression
if you do that you ay want to ask aj ovr on fabbo to run some numbers for you
why use chevy cams in your mopar
if you do have 9:1 the 274 hl migt work better even if you do not need as much lift as any of these cams give
you geet more lift quicker trapping more compression
you might want to use the ,028 mr gasket

I agree: Compression would be closer to 9:1
A smaller cam will be better on the street as Wyrmrider noted.
If the pistons are like the high compression flat tops I have in my 383, they did not have valve reliefs. You should have the valve springs checked for pressures and see if they are compatible with the cam. If you see dings on top of the pistons, check that the valves are not bent. I over-reved my 383 and bent a few valves many years ago. I sounds like it was done pretty well by the prior machine shop? With the new rings, check the ring gap(s).
With the bearings, look at the back side of the ones that came out and see if they are standard bore or oversized if the crank was turned.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back