• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 charger value after resto

7072duster

Local time
6:03 PM
Reaction score
I know its only what somebody will pay but,im jus curious. Ive started a resto on a 72 318 base Charger hide away lights, its driveable just has alot of rust not rotted out tho (sat a few years with glass busted from vandles). Will get lots of AMD metal and interior. So, for example i dont want to put $5000 worth of parts in a car worth $6000. It wont be a nut and bolt graveyard cars resto just super clean driver/show quality. So whats it worth? Thanks fellas!:headbang:

If it were a factory 4 barrel car with a lot of desirable options, they can add up to put the value close to comparable E body or 68-70 B body cars.

Starting with a 318 car doesn't get you that high, although I've seen tastefully done ones bring pretty good money.

I've found this guide to be pretty close-

http://www.collectorcarmarket.com/collector-car/prices/1972-dodge-charger-value.html

For example, adding up the options for my 72 puts it within 3K top dollar value (into the low 30K range) of my buddies 73 Rallye 340 Challenger.
Too bad they don't count the hidden headlights and sure grip axle or HIP paint, as I'm sure those affect the value as well.

As always, it's just a guide.

I saw a really nice 72 SE with most of the same options as mine, even the same color on CL after i bought mine.
It was listed at 16K, and it didn't last long.

- - - Updated - - -

The main pain points on these cars are:

1- no one makes repro fenders, and they rust real bad. I have yet to find a single good fender, and at one time I had eight in my possession, and knew of about eight more.

2- besides a hot motor, a bulge hood is probably the biggest value add. Unfortunately they are VERY pricey, and only repro'd in fiberglass.

3- the cowl area is especially susceptible to rust, and although most of the metal can be found either repro or clean used, it's a VERY labor intensive operation, and can easily kill the value all by it's self.

Just enjoy the car. I do. Don't care what it is worth.

I'll try and get pics jus not easy with my phone. It is a 318 2 barrel auto,power brakes,power steering,a/c,rear defrost,and thats about it. Now i do have a 72 440 4spd,power everything,sunroof,Charger i bought for parts but its totaled and gutted big time. that wouldve been the one to do!

Now I need to see pics of both cars.

If the fender tag on the 440 4 speed car checks out, it might be worth a re-body.

I think you'll be pressed to be at 20K on a G VIN car, unless it's crazy resto-mod wild, but that other one could be 40K.

- - - Updated - - -

Let's watch this one, shall we?

It's a P VIN 400-4 SE car with hideaways but no A/C and a bench seat. Looks like decent driver but nowhere near show condition.

Already at 5K with 2 days left. Guesses anyone? I say it goes to....$6200.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231321806217?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

- - - Updated - - -

This U VIN 440 car started at 9K, but got no bids-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Dodge-...cqvogsUwAfx57C3b2FQgk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I may have to rethink my position...

As you can see the yellow 440 is in bad shape 4spd hump and all vin locations have been removed years ago but i did see car somewhat complete. The blue 72 is the one i was questioning possible valve after resto,but it seems it is worth doing and i will continue!!! :hello2:

Attachments

• DSC_0166.jpg
    DSC_0166.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC_0165.jpg
    DSC_0165.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC_0134.jpg
    DSC_0134.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC_0144.jpg
    DSC_0144.jpg