• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 floor pans glued/epoxied - rigidity

Runner72

Local time
3:17 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone epoxied/glued in new floor pans? When I purchased my RR a couple months back, it already had the front floor pans cut out and replaced but they were glued in and not welded. It looks like it is from about the back of the front wheel wells/firewall to where the transmission meets the driveshaft/where the side mirrors are. The transmission tunnel is mostly still there. I just want to make sure that the car should be solid enough to drive safely when I'm ready to get it on the road.

If prepared & applied correctly, using quality brand materials ( 3M, Fusor, etc. ) it will be fine. And, there are certain advantages to using adhesives.

I use the 65.00 a tube panel bond for a few things and it can be pulled apart. The floor pans are very important for the structure of the car. I myself would not trust that.

It's a unibody, the floor is an important part of the structure. And if you ever bolt on a set of slicks, those seams might come apart.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll have to get back under the car and look closer and also pull the seats and carpet and check from the top. It looks like the pans overlap so maybe it was welded from the top and then the seams were glued. This is what it looks like near the transmission tunnel.
0601222046a.jpg

This is closer to the front. Doesn't seem like it's connected to the rails
0601222055.jpg

looks like the old metal still has the undercoating behind the new metal, won't weld right. spray some good undercoating on it. if it moves enough you'll see it cracking or stretching. drive it and enjoy it! good luck.

I would take that stuff out, and weld the pan in. Adhesives are great for certain areas, that is a beaucoup structural component.

I've used 3M panel Bond 9118 quite often over the last few decades. Joining two pieces together we will usually use self tappers as well and that really sucks the pieces together.

Once the glue has cured we remove the screws and weld shut any areas that we had self-tappers if that makes sense to everyone it's not cheap but it does seal things up well as far as for structural

¹ personally I would do both but prep work is everything.

Auto Transport Service
Back