• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 GTX RR correct carb question

Randall Miller

Local time
1:37 AM
Reaction score
Gents,
My numbers matching 72 GTX RR 440 Hipo 440 car is missing the original carb.

Is this the right one? I've tried and don't speak Holley. I've seen it posted about the 6252 number being corrext but I don't know about the other number above it or if that is all I need to know. I realize the shown unit is missing parts but I'm sure my rebuild can correct it.

HOLLEY LIST 6252 CARBURETOR SALE | eBay

Thanks. Rudy

Looks like that is correct for a 440 manual, according to the parts catalog.

If you have a stick car without fresh air, and not California, that looks to be the right list number. The other numbers on the choke horn, (either three digits or four) are a date code. Holley's site can tell you how to read those.
The List number is how all holleys are identified.

Thanks guys. I'll quit thinking about it and get it. I guess the date code is 352 day of 71 which makes sense for my 72

You got lucky to find that carburetor! That is a hard one to find! I still have my original 6252!

IMG_5115.JPG

Gents,
My numbers matching 72 GTX RR 440 Hipo 440 car is missing the original carb.

Is this the right one? I've tried and don't speak Holley. I've seen it posted about the 6252 number being corrext but I don't know about the other number above it or if that is all I need to know. I realize the shown unit is missing parts but I'm sure my rebuild can correct it.

HOLLEY LIST 6252 CARBURETOR SALE | eBay

Thanks. Rudy
According to the carb part number listing, for your application, it should be a Holley R-6257 auto trans or R-6256 manual trans both are Model 4160 (secondary metering plates) side hung floats, backward idle mixture control. Holley is a great carb...easy to tune, abundance of parts availability....only to those who like Edelbrock (aka "Eddy's")/Webber (aka Webbie's)/Carter designs......just my opinion of course..
BOB RENTON

Very rare list number indeed, with an idle solenoid as well. Have read many posts from folks in search of that carb. As mentioned, 6252 is 4-speed federal without N96. 6256 & 6257 are California only carbs.
Let me know if you need any parts, have several of those less rare '72 list numbers.

Auto Transport Service
Back