• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 3rd Gear Upshift

Rick62

Local time
2:59 AM
Reaction score
I posted this on another Mopar website: Suddenly the 727 in my pickup is not shifting into high gear. First to second is normal around 15mph unless I accelerate hard. Normal acceleration or otherwise it doesn't shift into high gear at all. It stays in second. I haven't changed anything recently. The kick-down linkage is attached and adjusted to be all the way back when the throttle is at wide open, which is where it has always been. Any clues? Thanks!!

Did you have a flare up on the 2-3 shift before it quit going into 3rd?
That's what mine did. Flare up, then no shift, lost 3rd. Worked fine otherwise. Took it out and overhauled it. Front clutch pack was burned up.

I've had some that the surface finish on the inside of the high gear clutch piston gets burred. It won't flare. But it won't shift 2-3 either.
Doug

I've had some that the surface finish on the inside of the high gear clutch piston gets burred. It won't flare. But it won't shift 2-3 either.
Doug
I had 3rd die on me. Front clutch was at maximum spec, had to rebuild, and do thicker snapring

I'm going to try unhooking the kickdown rod and see what happens. It sounds like the trans is going to need to come out. I'm not looking forward to that, I'm old. The motor and trans in the truck are a 440/727 from a '72 Chrysler. Both were rebuilt when they were installed thirty years ago.

DSC00008 (2016_11_04 11_46_59 UTC).JPG

I had 3rd die on me. Front clutch was at maximum spec, had to rebuild, and do thicker snapring
This would cause a flare, like going into neutral. It is possible the 2/3 shift valve is stuck in the valve body. Also possible its a governor issue.
Doug

Is the fluid level correct? A seal could be gone in the front drum or a sealing ring on the pump. Or other scenario’s as posted. Kim

Auto Transport Service
Back