• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 manual shift

Ree.e

Local time
7:23 AM
Reaction score
Hi. Bought a car recently that had a " fresh rebuilt engine and trans". The trans is manual shift 727. The transmission shifts very soft. It had the cable conversion kick down, which is hooked up. I have been told a manual conversion had pressure turned up inside and linkage should not be hooked up as mine is.., is this true ?? Thanks

Are 1st, 2nd and drive backwards on the shift pattern?
The turbo action manual valve body I've been running has a reversed shift pattern. The transmission pressure is turned all the way up with no kickdown. The shifts are hard. Barks tires in second and drive.

No kick down linkage on mine with normal shift pattern. Not all manual valve bodies use a reverse pattern.

Not surprised you can get either pattern, bought mine years ago. The kickdown shaft on the turbo action we have is visible externally, you could put kickdown linkage on it but it connects to nothing inside the valve body...just fills the hole.

Are 1st, 2nd and drive backwards on the shift pattern?
The turbo action manual valve body I've been running has a reversed shift pattern. The transmission pressure is turned all the way up with no kickdown. The shifts are hard. Barks tires in second and drive.
That's how I understand they are supposed to work. Mine has regular shift pattern. Kick down does move something inside Tranny. Don't think it is disconnected inside. Need to know how to turn up pressure

Does it upshift on its own or do you have to manually shift it? Does it down shift from drive to second when nailed? Will it start in a lower gear when placed in second and drive? First you need to confirm the manual valve body exist.

Does it upshift on its own or do you have to manually shift it? Does it down shift from drive to second when nailed? Will it start in a lower gear when placed in second and drive? First you need to confirm the manual valve body exist.
It's manual. Starts in whatever gear you put in. No downshift on acceleration. Seller said was a " built manual valve body trans"

It's manual. Starts in whatever gear you put in. No downshift on acceleration. Seller said was a " built manual valve body trans"
If it starts in any gear kick down isn't needed. Does it pull the engine rpm down when your off the throttle in 1st gear? Or does it cost like it's in neutral. A loose converter will make the shift feel soft.
Doug

IMHO drain the fluid, drop the pan, pull the valve body, put in a new VB from a top vendor (Cope, Turbo Action, A-1, Frank Lupo, etc). BTW "bang shift" is not good, you want crisp.

What size converter? I have a RMVB and a 5000 stall Lupo converter and it really doesn't hit the gear change very hard unless I'm really getting into it and the converter is locked up around 5500. A loose converter will soften the hit a lot..

Auto Transport Service
Back