• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 question.

Gunner1

Local time
5:49 AM
Reaction score
So my 63 has a push button trans. Yet it also has a normal front u joint. Not the special one a 63 uses. I asked my trans builder what it would take to change from a RMVB push button to a normal floor shift. He said it can’t. Something about the case is different. The builder is Art Carr so I’m guessing he’s still sharp on his torqueflites.
Thanks
Bob

There was a aftermarket floor shifter for the pushbutton trans at one time many moons ago. The output shaft can be changed to the newer style and maybe that's what was done to yours. '65 was the first slip yoke but the cable shift on it was a one year only. Don't know if it could be adapted to the early pushbutton. '64 was the first year for the console shifter. (just figuring out what you might have there and what could be used)

@dvw Need some help here.

I didn’t ask him for a manual. All I said was a solid street strip trans. I got a billet everything. I paid 3k for it which included a 3k converter and a longer driveshaft. He said I used up his NOS stockpile. I’m just not excited about shifting around my steering wheel all the time. Maybe we could reinstall an automatic VB. I still have the kick down rod. Then maybe sell the VB to a racer. I forgot whose part it was. He had it made back east.

Use the factory console shifter for cable operated TFs. They have provision for the gear shift cable the Park cable, if used.

If you use the factory 64 or 65 shifter it can work. You currently have a 65 tail shaft housing and output shaft. How ever to work with push buttons it has a 62-64 push button rooster comb and manual valve in the valve body. Those two pieces need to be swapped to 64/65 floor/column shift parts. It's a 5 minute job with the valve body removed. the shift cables will probably need to be swapped for floor shift cables as well.
Doug

I think what the builder is telling you is that the governor is normally removed when installing a RMVB. The governor is needed for an automatic VB.
If your transmission is cable-shift and has a slip joint at the rear, it is a '65. The tail can be removed and a governor with it's associated parts can be installed. There is no difference in the case from '62-'65 that would prevent installing the governor assembly.
As stated, to convert to floor shift you'll need a '64-'65 console shifter.

So it sounds like since I kept my kick down rod and it just needs a GOV and auto VB I could at least be full auto for the street again. I love this forum and the wealth of knowledge it has. Thanks for sharing.

You also need to verify the rear pump gears a drive ball are installed. A standard valve body will not shift properly without the rear pump operating. Also accesable with tail shaft housing removal.
Doug

I agree that you would need the '64-'65 console shifter to make this work. Unfortunately, this shifter bolts up into the console, rather than to the floor. Maybe the short console from a '65 Barracuda or Dart can be made to work, as they used the same shifter.

I called Art today. He was out sick. He’s 86 now works 5 days a week. Anyway we’re gonna talk Monday.

Going in nex month to put in a auto shift VB and reinstall the Gov. He said maybe a couple of hundred to do the work plus parts. Long as he dosent have to pull the trans and put it on the dyno to set bands, line pressures and junk.

Auto Transport Service
Back