• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 rear rod

EccentricMagpies

Local time
3:55 AM
Reaction score
This might a correct year issue with the rear rod I have.
Is there a stamp on the trans to indicate the year?

This rear rod linkage does not seem to be correct for this transmission.
There is a rubber bushing in the control lever that seems to only accept this rod from the bottom, and then of course I cannot get a pin in the rod to retain it.

IMG_2219.JPG IMG_2220.JPG

Yes, there is a date code. For example: PK3681052 4149 3723 The PK indicates Kokomo the 3681052 is the part number and the 4149 is the date code of 12/6/72 and lastly the 3723 is the production # of day made. It is on the thin strip of cast, just above the oil pan.

I can almost make out some of your numbers. They are located just below where you have the red circle.

I can almost make out some of your numbers. They are located just below where you have the red circle.

I think this is what I have:

PK3368162 4477 9479

i guess i don't know the calculation to get:
(just read this from the trans thread in saved which was helpful too)

Day 4477 is Tuesday, October 30, 1973

So... This is a 74 charger.. so.. that brings me back to the problem I have with this linkage piece.
Something just doesn't seem right about the fit.

The car has been slowly going back together for the past 3 years. Been to 3 places in that time, so this part seemed missing and I ordered a new rear rod of what I assumed to be correct.

But I suppose I would need confirmation if that rubber bushing is intended to be there, and if so if this rod is just wrong.

Let me take a pic of mine. It is out of the car so I can get a quick pic.

I don't remember it looking like that. I am getting older so I could be wrong. That part is in a parts box and I dont know if it here or at the storage barn. I will check here first. I can get a pic but it might not be today if it is in storage.

I’d try aandatrans.com, 317-831-5610. They have a lot of repop linkage and would know what you need. Camby Indiana.

Let me find the one for a floor shift, as mine is column.

Okay, this is what the book shows.
100_8559.JPG

21-30-418 Rod Gearshift control part numbers
100_8560.JPG

lol... oh wait.. reading further it was actually taken from a post for a, what looks like a 74+ roadrunner

Auto Transport Service
Back