• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worn clutch rod??

rww124

Local time
2:48 PM
Reaction score
This is a picture of my clutch rod. It sits on a round pin/dowel which I assume is part of the fork that moves my release bearing back and forth engaging and disengaging my clutch disc. Is the hole in the clutch rod supposed to be oblong and the pin/dowel round or is my clutch rod worn or is there supposed to be a nylon bushing in the clutch rod to make the two fit more snugly together? Thank you.
1699206227418.jpeg

As far as I know that is the way they are and it just gets a spring clip...

That rod looks like the rod from the clutch pedal to the torque shaft. The one from the torque shaft to the release fork is threaded so you can adjust clutch free play.
The factory service manual shows all the parts and were they go.
Mega Parts has all the bits.
They have a nylon wear washer on the inside and grease it up and fit the correct clip.
It is the same up under the dash were the rod connects to the clutch pedal.

Just the way it's supposed to be...
So no bushing on these two pieces, just slide the oblong rod onto the round peg put the spring clip on and that's all?

Yes correct although there is a thin nylon wear washer also.
Check the hardened pin for wear as well if it has operated for years without grease it may be worn.

Yes correct although there is a thin nylon wear washer also.
Check the hardened pin for wear as well if it has operated for years without grease it may be worn.
Does this nylon wear washer go behind the rod with the oblong hole or on top of it. I will let my cousin know about the nylon wear washer and hopefully he has one in his parts bin as well ask him if the pin/dowel is worn and ask him to put some white lithium grease on the pin. Thank you.

Does this nylon wear washer go behind the rod with the oblong hole or on top of it. I will let my cousin know about the nylon wear washer and hopefully he has one in his parts bin as well ask him if the pin/dowel is worn and ask him to put some white lithium grease on the pin. Thank you.
Sorry didn't see the pictures until after I sent the message. If the nylon washer is the one already on the linkage the hole for the washer looks too small to fit over the pin.

It will fit over the pin see those notches cut in the ID of the nylon washer?

It will fit over the pin see those notches cut in the ID of the nylon washer?
Would require a specialty washer then unless my Cousin happens to have a regular nylon washer. Are the notches in the washer supposed to hold it firmly in place?

Would require a specialty washer then unless my Cousin happens to have a regular nylon washer. Are the notches in the washer supposed to hold it firmly in place?
My cousin just asked me to order one of those nylon washers. What exactly are they called and where can I get one?

Pretty much all the linkage ends have a little play. The play in each end and the air gap between the throw out bearing and the clutch fingers gives you your pedal free play.

I looked on the Brewer's website and the only washers I see are the ones that come in a kit with spring clips to hold the shifter levers onto the trans.
Calling would be the easiest thing or else it’s digging through site after site. They sell the kits to convert cars, so I’m guessing they will have the inside track on this.

Auto Transport Service
Back