• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 Rebuild...Anything I Am Missing?

Pressure regulator valve doesn't take a spring. Kickdown valve does, in between the two valve halves.

IT is a mystery. MILLIONS of auto's made & 99.9% work just like they're supposed to. Sh---&giggles- look up case porosity. GM I think had some problems way back with oil press. sidestepping thru the walls in VB.

I ordered the Transgo TF2 shift kit which should be the last upgrade I needed.

But I have a questions I haven't seen an answer to......
1. What RPMs does this kit raise the wot shift points to?
2. Do I still need to modify my governor to get my wot shift RPMs to 5800?
3. Governor is different for 71 and up I believe...does anyone know what is different? Spring? Weight? Size? Has anyone lightened them in the same manner as the 70 and below governors ?

No expert anymore but gov. changes were mostly springs. I'm guessing the vb. will override the gov if ur shifting manually.

No expert anymore but gov. changes were mostly springs. I'm guessing the vb. will override the gov if ur shifting manually.

I don't plan to shift it manually. I installed a max wedge governor in my 62 without shift kit and at wot it shifts at 5800rpm. Later 727s are different and I have never used a shift kit before. I would like this to shift the same only more crisp.

AND......if I do change the governor how will it impact the shift kit?

I would second calling TransGo. When I installed the TF1 which is probably 90% of the TF2, there were no claims in the instructions about raising shift points. But I believe it, as most similar kits, does raise pressure which would probably affect shift rpm to some degree. I would suspect you will still need a higher shift point governor but maybe TransGo can address that.

Might be worth a little research on governors...maybe in the handbook. My understanding is different weights.

To gain access to the governor remove the tail shaft
Remove the e clip from one end of the governor shaft rod (doesn't matter which end). Then the governor weights will slide out. Remove the outer weight snap ring to seperate the weights. Upshift speed is controlled partly by spring, mostly wieght. Its governor pressure vs throttle pressure. You can drill the inner weight 3/8" diameter about 3/8" deep then look at picture of a max wedge or hemi outer weight and trim to match. Even using the stock spring the results work pretty well.
Doug

To gain access to the governor remove the tail shaft
Remove the e clip from one end of the governor shaft rod (doesn't matter which end). Then the governor weights will slide out. Remove the outer weight snap ring to seperate the weights. Upshift speed is controlled partly by spring, mostly wieght. Its governor pressure vs throttle pressure. You can drill the inner weight 3/8" diameter about 3/8" deep then look at picture of a max wedge or hemi outer weight and trim to match. Even using the stock spring the results work pretty well.
Doug

So the governor in my 1975 727 is the same as all others in weight, spring, size?

First set of goodies. Complete rebuild kit including shims and bushings.
20170227_134545.jpg

Got off the phone with Robert at A&A Transmissions. He said the governors are all the same up into the 90's. As for the Transgo TF2 shift kit, he said it will raise the auto shift rpms so that if I want auto shifts at 5900rpm to purchase the 5600rpm governor kit and that I would need AASDS-1 spring to even out the 1-2, 2-3 shift rpms as he said the transgo kit will shift earlier in rpms on the 1-2.

Auto Transport Service
Back