• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 Rebuild

Excellent!

I had mine done 5years ago, full rebuild set up for the 451. Still full auto, at about 500 miles the governor blew, they fixed it for nothing. Adjusted as needed since, $750.00. I pulled for initial build. Last year it started slipping suddenly, I pulled it and took it in, Dave called and asked me to bring in the torque converter. The Tci converter had too much runout and actually pulled the bushing out of the housing. He was amazed it didn't blow fluid all over but the bushing actually sealed itself into the seal and against the hub. It caused burned clutch pack, no band damage. He's gonna have it done Monday, wants me to bring in the new converter( not Tci ) to double check for runout. Great guy, he's been doing this forty years.

Since I was running out of time trying to get ready for the Power Tour, I made a few phone calls and found an old school tranny mechanic here locally that hooked me up. It was all in the (improper) kickdown linkage and adjustment, and now she shifts like a banchee! I had no idea it could have such an effect on the overall operation and performance of the transmission.

Thanks again for all the input guy's. :thumbsup:
I have a button shift 727 (63 Ply) and had played around with the kick down to achieve a later shift from 1st to 2nd. If I can ask, what was the initial problem and how did having the kick down linkage/adjustment solve the problem?

Follow up. Trans shop contacted me. Told me nothing broke but the clutch packs were too tight. Burned em up. Had em rebuild it. New bands,steels,discs etc. $600. Chino Hills Transmissions. Asked them where to take the converter. Sent me to a place 10 minutes from home. They opened it up and found the stator bearings had failed. The outer races shattered and took out the supporting surfaces. Guy told me those bearings are not available anymore but he could install better ones. 8" converter bout 25 years old.LOL. Guy said he would repair it, $250. IDC in Rialto. I will see how it all performs. But the 88s in the dana are worn out so I'am going to put some 5.38s I have in.

Auto Transport Service
Back