• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 shift kit help...spring removal

Jtucker66

Local time
4:37 PM
Reaction score
1205111707.jpg

i have all the drilling and reworking of the valve body done and just need to replace the spring that is circled in red. i see that there is a shaft that holds the "clamp" for the band and it looks like that should come out but i cant get it. the instructions in my transgo tf-2 kit dont show any dissassembly at all.
just need that spring replaced then i can put the tranny back together and in the car so it can sit for winter haha.

i have very limited knowledge of auto transmission so thanks for the help.

jason

i just did an in car tf2 kit. i believe the tailhousing has to come out to change the spring. right or wrong i didn't change the spring. there wasn't a good definition of why the spring needed changed other than a reference to stalling in reverse. i think i would have been just happy with a tf1. i used an old transgo kit many years ago that was very simple and it was the best kit i ever used. the tf2 raised the full throttle shift points way too high in my application so i'm playing with that issue now.

i saw that the flange of the tail light housing hangs over the pin. i just saw that it said no transmission removal require but tailhousing removal is required i guess.

oh well, ill decide if i feel like doing it.

It's been a while since I was in a TF but wondering with the band adjustment screw out (as pictured) if that will give you enough room to weasel the parts out from under it.

easier to remove the band strut. loosen the adjuster and get the band loose then the lever can be moved to clear the spring retainer and snap ring. removing tailhousing wont help.

Last edited:
It's been a while since I was in a TF but wondering with the band adjustment screw out (as pictured) if that will give you enough room to weasel the parts out from under it.
i tried this and couldn't get the band loose enough to let the arm drop. i have a cable tranny and just didn't want to fool with park issues,...again.

easier to remove the band strut. loosen the adjuster and get the band loose then the lever can be moved to clear the spring retainer and snap ring. removing tailhousing wont help.

do exactly what jughead stated. in order to pull the lever back far enough to remove the spring you have to remove the rear band strut... now be careful when removing this strut as it will want to slide down (if working on it from above) and you will have to turn the trans over to get it to fall out.

now when removing the spring from the servo piston, its easiest if you emplace the piston in a vise and apply minimal pressure (just enough) to remove the snap ring, you can then slowly release pressure off of the piston and remove and replace the spring doing the opposite process.

If I remember correctly, I used to use a valve spring compressor tool to take tension of the spring retainer(big old " C " -shaped thing). Course, I was always working on trans on the bench. You should still have enough room, I think.

you can actually just pop those out with a flat tip screwdriver (retaining ring) w/o much worries as they are not under that much pressure (rear servo's are lower tension than front servos). I have put those springs back in with my hands though if i dont get it on the first try i use a c clamp (after the first try, frustration will get the better of me :D )

Yea I used a flat scree driver.

I don't know what you mean by band retaining strut.

Also what is the rod in the top right of this photo and how do I get it back in the tranny

jasontucker

you can put the park rod back 1 of 2 ways, you can remove the "e clip" that retains it to the valvebody and then rotate the output shaft until the rod slides right in to its socket and then clip it back onto the valve body, OR you can just leave it on the valve body and rotate the rear output shaft until the rod slides into place.

ON A SIDE NOTE, CLICK ON MY LINK BELOW, MY MOPAR CRUISE IS GOING TO OMAHA NEXT YEAR! :D

Auto Transport Service
Back