• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 Suddenly no reverse

FWIW I hadn't caught the part about going forward in reverse & neutral... I agree it's a clutch that has failed... But it's the forward clutch...

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 10.30.54 AM.png

What i it you don't understand B 3
With the kit you get the converter charged before putting it in r4everse or drive
a BIG plus for those that stick it in gear and TRY and go
You also get cooler flow which starts the lube flow to the back of the transGil Younger had a patent on the valve
no many have COPIED it

I said buy the spare trans if he has broken hard parts (more than the strut or band)
looks like he may have

With no school and no work my son and a buddy got it in the shop and up on the ramps today. Drained the transmission fluid and it was black with a slight burnt smell, I have smelled worse though.

Going through my manuals I have a 1969 Plymouth service manual and a Chilton truck manual that has a section on cast iron case LoadFlites and a section on aluminum case LoadFlites. Would these have the correct/current enough information needed to rebuild the transmission? He has a friend of a friend who has rebuilt transmissions, just not a Chrysler product, that is willing to work on it at our shop.

You'll need a 5/16 8 point socket to adjust the bands, so get one coming if you don't have one. And a rubber tipped blowguy to air check clutches

I have a 1969 Plymouth service manual and a Chilton truck manual that has a section on cast iron case LoadFlites and a section on aluminum case LoadFlites. Would these have the correct/current enough information needed to rebuild the transmission?

The 77 valve body is slightly different, as is the front clutch retainer and some of the seals. Just make sure you use the 71 and newer trans kit.

He left a note on the kitchen counter for me to read this morning.....

"pan is full of sludge and metal shavings"

FWIW I hadn't caught the part about going forward in reverse & neutral... I agree it's a clutch that has failed... But it's the forward clutch...
The clutch names are misleading The "forward" clutch is actually located toward the rear of the 3rd/Rev clutch (direct as its named). We are talking about the same part.
Doug

He left a note on the kitchen counter for me to read this morning.....

"pan is full of sludge and metal shavings"
More than likely from the rear clutch pack and band. I would make darn sure he sees the damage his nonsense created.

727 is awesome. It can take some serious punishment, but a rebuild is not too expensive.....I say get her rebuilt.

"It will still be going forward when the selector is in reverse"
This statement may lead me away from a broken low/reverse band/servo piston. It's possible the rear clutch is seized.

Bingo !!

I think he is going to try and rebuild it. Will be a good learning experience for him. Thanks for all the info and help.

I also think he learned a few life lessons with this.

1. Don't beat on/abuse your equipment (which he may or may not have done) as it may be expensive to fix.

2. Buyer beware. He hasn't had this pickup for much more than a month and because it isn't his daily driver he probably hasn't put 200 miles on it since buying. I got a feeling the truck may have had transmission issues long before he bought it.

you cn still get the parts from that donor trans and have soething to practice on
get an ATSG manual where you get your parts
find where the local trans guys get their parts
lots of threads in the 4wd sites on setting up the transfer case

Auto Transport Service
Back