• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 TCI Streetfighter question

Not sure. Can't remember by memory. I've never measured that area. Just be careful to
put the new bronze bushings in the same place as the old ones, and don't forget to stake
the bushing for the convertor. I like to use red loctite on the bushings.

I've never used Loctite on any bushings and never will. Bushings do need to be installed in the proper location.

I’m taking it to a machine shop today so he can clean it up and fit a bigger snap ring. I will check my shaft. And get back to you. Could it have anything to do with improper depth setting on the TC to engine? I’ve never installed one, just thinking out aloud
I would contact this guy in Australia for local expertise. Check out his 727 rebuilds.

Can anybody confirm what year shaft this is? Just finalising an order

AA163651-45D7-4337-9A5B-900D0F5B1E58.jpeg

I would contact this guy in Australia for local expertise. Check out his 727 rebuilds.

Been speaking to Pete. Going to go through him as CRT won’t return my emails so I won’t buy from anyone who can’t respond to emails.
Pete seems like a good guy. Pricing is fairly reasonable. Pretty much the same as CRT after the dollar conversion

Ya, communication is not one of John Cope's best skills. But he sure seems to know his 727 stuff. Pete' vid is interesting. I always take all the guts out of the case before starting on the tail shaft but to each their own. If you watch Nick's Garage vid, he also takes the tail shaft housing apart early, then notice how the tail shaft falls out when he is taking the rear drum out. The Nick's Garage vid is pretty good. Not a real pro at 727's, but a good vid.
Edit: on Nick's vid his output roller bearing was junk. Never seen that, but none of my cores had just been sitting a real long time.

Ya, communication is not one of John Cope's best skills. But he sure seems to know his 727 stuff. Pete' vid is interesting. I always take all the guts out of the case before starting on the tail shaft but to each their own. If you watch Nick's Garage vid, he also takes the tail shaft housing apart early, then notice how the tail shaft falls out when he is taking the rear drum out. The Nick's Garage vid is pretty good. Not a real pro at 727's, but a good vid.
Edit: on Nick's vid his output roller bearing was junk. Never seen that, but none of my cores had just been sitting a real long time.
Yeah and I definitely need good communication when buy from over here. His stuff looked really good. Just unfortunate he didn’t email back.
I have watched his video as well, he some good ones. I have 2 books now so I should be good for the install.
Did you happen to see the past before about the shaft? I just want to make sure which shaft I have

I did see that on CRT website. I originally thought it was the 62-62 shaft because of that spigot on the LHS of the shaft. But I think I’m looking at the wrong end. The lhs end in this picture is lower and last in my pictures? If that makes sense. Making it a 66-75?

81BA7322-4516-4AA5-A1C2-C1E25630591F.jpeg

32244401-95BA-49F7-B6B9-58E9C66DD49A.jpeg

FFD20D5E-AE27-4F88-84BD-A99BF34A9360.jpeg

Sure appears to be a '66-75 output shaft. Although the output shaft I have in my hand right now looks more like the '65 Only shaft in dvw's pic. in the way it's cut from the splines up towards the bearing. I haven't had '65 727 for 45 years so I know what I'm holding isn't a '65. IIRC the '65 was different on the input side. May be way wrong. But I'd say you have a '66-75 shaft.

Yes ,it's a 66-75
Doug

I went to the local bearing shop and tried to source an output shaft bearing. The only one is the same dimensions but the ball retainer is plastic. Also it’s enclosed and greased. I’m no bearing guru but would the plastic retainer be ok in the transmission? Is this bearing fine to use or should i try to source another bearing?

3EFAF083-840F-46C8-8533-4E06964F44A5.jpeg

2D27C3E9-BAF7-496F-AA19-782FD9F797B0.jpeg

What is wrong with your existing tail shaft bearing? They don't normally get worn. I've never changed one.

I was just going to change it cause I was in there. Anything I should really look out for
If the bearing feels good when you spin it it's fine. Never had to replace one in 50 years. The sealed bearing is a toss up. My OEM bearings were just fine.

If the bearing feels good when you spin it it's fine. Never had to replace one in 50 years. The sealed bearing is a toss up. My OEM bearings were just fine.
Yeah i agree, i dont like the idea that it has a plastic retainer but for all i know that could be fine. The old bearing is quite noisy but other then that it doesnt seem to bad, a little bit of play in it.

Auto Transport Service
Back