• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 torqueflight question

Sonny

It’s all fun til the rabbit gets the gun.
Local time
6:59 AM
Reaction score
4C28168A-04C5-4371-B5DD-731870827DD8.jpeg
This 727 and 440 is for sale but I noticed the end of the trans has a weird round input shaft/tail piece. It’s from a 1972 Motor home. Can I use that trans (and 440) to swap into my ‘70 B body? Most 727s I’ve seen have the long narrow tail piece. I know I can swap the 440 in place of my 318.

Yup...if you want to use that in a car, you have to swap out the tail shaft and tail shaft housing. That big round thing is a parking brake. Also, those 'truck' transmissions usually have the 4 planetary gear sets in them and some even have the bigger clutch drums like the hi-po transmissions had. Key word is 'usually'.

Yup...if you want to use that in a car, you have to swap out the tail shaft and tail shaft housing. That big round thing is a parking brake. Also, those 'truck' transmissions usually have the 4 planetary gear sets in them and some even have the bigger clutch drums like the hi-po transmissions had. Key word is 'usually'.
Glad I asked. Thanks guys!!!

Any good tranny shop can convert it over to a car output shaft and tail housing. Most will have the parts on hand.

As Cranky said, much of that 727 is very likely to be desirable. The output shaft & tail shaft housing would need replacement. Complete trans disassembly is required for the swap. Not a big deal for those of us that are familiar with 727's.

View attachment 638932 This 727 and 440 is for sale but I noticed the end of the trans has a weird round input shaft/tail piece. It’s from a 1972 Motor home. Can I use that trans (and 440) to swap into my ‘70 B body? Most 727s I’ve seen have the long narrow tail piece. I know I can swap the 440 in place of my 318.
The tail shaft can be removed by removing the cover and the cir-clip beneath the cover. Remove the housing bolts and lift the tail shaft housing off. You will need a housing of the same length if you can find one. This is a much tougher tranny than most 727's.

Get the correct year output shaft. The spline angle (not spine count) changes 3 times thru the years. Any year tail housing. Trans must be disassembled for the swap.
Doug

I may have been wrong about the need to replace the output shaft, the length may be the same as auto version. My recollection is that the motor home output& housing were shorter. That may not be correct.

Depends on the year and customer
good trans- many have few miles but check everything for heat throw a transgo reprogramming kit in it and new frictions while you have it apart
stronger band strut, usual fixes depending on your usage

I had never rebuilt a transmission ever in my life.
Did my 727 this year and I would encourage anyone to do it too.
You'll save a ton of money, you'll know it's right and have fun too.
Start right away researching the tailshaft parts you'll need and reading transmission rebuild threads.

Here's mine
https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/jeffs-727-rebuild-thread.397746/

I had frustrating problems along the way...and the guys were there to get me through. ..hell, I was ready to give up at one point!
Now that it's done, I am SO glad I did it.

Jeff

Any 727 with correct length tailhousing and output shaft can be used as a donor for those parts IF it is similar model year. There were little changes along the way that makes some parts incompatible. Start reading up on the model year differences.
There is a snap ring securing the gear sets to the output shaft from the inside, so near total dissassebly is required. No problem since you'll want to do a rebuild at the same time anyway.

The only thing special you need in tools is a good set of snap ring pliers and a simple bench top (low bench is better) trans stand helps but an engine stand works too.

I fabricated a simple tool to compress the front drum springs. The correct number of springs for your valve body/front band lever ratio is needed. So you may need to change the springs in the front drum. Study the service manual for several hours, then 727's are pretty simple to work with.

20180817_053604_001.jpg 20180817_053619_001.jpg 20180817_053706_001.jpg

Is there an identifier or number that I could check to verify the trans?

Is there an identifier or number that I could check to verify the trans?
When it comes to numbers....you're asking the wrong person. I know just enough about it to know how to ask someone who really knows how to ID parts etc lol

Not too hard to find a front drum with the correct number of springs needed
If the trans came out of a HD just use what's there and the lever that goes with it
save the parts swamping for some hard core racer
as was said all you need are come good snap ring pliers

Auto Transport Service
Back