• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 trans governor differences.

DLevel

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:06 PM
Reaction score
Having a 68 727 transmission rebuilt for my brothers 70 wagon and ran into some problems. The trans has a bad output shaft support that was seized to the shafts. In the process of removing the shaft on my press I broke the weight on the inside of the governor assembly. The support was gauled up on the inside so that will need replaced. We have a couple u home transmissions that came on 440s we bought. Can anyone tell me if the governor assemblies are the same or maybe the weight inside ? Would be great if I could just rob the support and governor off of one.

Thanks for the response Snakeoil. Do you know where I could purchase the correct weight or do I modify the motor home one on a lathe if possible ?

hmm bouchillion performance ask fo rrandy he will give you exact piece needed. I have a few stock sets at home but i don't have the weights they should be. They must be spotlessly clean and no burrs. You can look up the weights on Allpar or moparts. Also Transgo might have them..

I've got several governor's in my trans parts stockpile if you need one.

A&A sells high rpm governers. there are to different diameter weights. 1" &1.0625". You can drill the inner with a 3/8" bit. The outer can be turned on a lathe. I even dI'd some with a bench grinder years ago. It's only weight. the springs are slightly different as well. I've had pretty good luck trimming and drilling them. Zero cost. Or buy a new one from A&A.
Doug

Well after taking apart 2 more transmissions and comparing the governors, I decided to call A&A and ordered a kit from them today . Here's the different assemblies side by side . The one on the left is out of my original 70 Charger RT. Middle is from the 68 Coronet police, and the right is from a motor home.The two on the left measured the same at .065 thick on the top,while the motor home weight measures .150. The springs appear the same with only the wire measuring . 005 thinner on the motor home again. I even weighed all three while they were still assembled and they were between 69 and 70.5 grams. The spool ,dumbell or whatever you call it measured the same on all 3 also. I would like to think that the motor home piece could be machined down to .065 to match the others if it had to be used but haven't figured out how it wouldn't be a lighter assembly then. Must be over thinking it.
20161117_101509.jpg
20161117_101509.jpg

i ran the Max Wedge governor in my 68 GTX, it was awesome

I'm running the same in my 62 Ply pushbutton. No need for a shift kit when the governor allows shifts crisply at 5800rpm on my poly.

Well after taking apart 2 more transmissions and comparing the governors, I decided to call A&A and ordered a kit from them today . Here's the different assemblies side by side . The one on the left is out of my original 70 Charger RT. Middle is from the 68 Coronet police, and the right is from a motor home.The two on the left measured the same at .065 thick on the top,while the motor home weight measures .150. The springs appear the same with only the wire measuring . 005 thinner on the motor home again. I even weighed all three while they were still assembled and they were between 69 and 70.5 grams. The spool ,dumbell or whatever you call it measured the same on all 3 also. I would like to think that the motor home piece could be machined down to .065 to match the others if it had to be used but haven't figured out how it wouldn't be a lighter assembly then. Must be over thinking it.View attachment 373289 View attachment 373289
The difference in weight on the inner is on the inside surface. It'll be drilled 3/8" diameter. The outer weight will be undercut so it resembles an I shape.
https://www.google.com/search?q=727...djNCwIQ_AUIBygC&dpr=1.1#imgrc=G1msuW1DLDf3lM:

Doug

The difference in weight on the inner is on the inside surface. It'll be drilled 3/8" diameter. The outer weight will be undercut so it resembles an I shape.
Thanks for the info. Last week I did order a 5400 rpm governor from A&A so that I could see what they did. Appears I can make these mods on the other governors I have on my lathe at work.

I have an RV trans in my car, and it shifts at 4100 RPM. SO I THINK I can take a governor out of another trans, and raise my shifts points. So does the lighter governor raise the shift RPM? And it was said to drill out the center hole to 3/8 inch to lighten the governor, and raise shift RPM. Is that right?

Auto Transport Service
Back