• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 trans pan

pjm8047

Local time
10:14 AM
Reaction score
Im lookIng to replace my factory 727 trans leaking pan/rubber gasket that came with the wix filter it came with. Looking on recommendations for pan gaskets and pans. I was looking into https://www.ebay.com/itm/183931955267 and using a felpro cork gasket.

Should work well, although the pan you linked is a deep sump type so i guess you need to get a suction screen/filter extension as well to utilize the extra fluid capacity.
A good brand cork or rubber gasket works well, most of the times people complain about leaks is due to over tightening the bolts and causes the pan rail to bend.

chrome does not transfer heat well
you can glass bead it and paint it black :)
look for cast aluminum and paint with a non insulating flat black
or
a pan from an od trans
either will require a filter extesion
heat problem get a plate cooler not a tube and fin
no silicone on the gasket
There are better reusable gaskets
important to not overtighten
on a cork gasket I used Hylomar
soe do not like it on rubber gasket but I do
perhaps those with problems with gasket moving overtighten- IDK

What ive seen about this deep pan is that a filter extension is not needed if fluid level is good on the dipstick.

chrome does not transfer heat well
you can glass bead it and paint it black :)
look for cast aluminum and paint with a non insulating flat black
or
a pan from an od trans
either will require a filter extesion
heat problem get a plate cooler not a tube and fin
no silicone on the gasket
There are better reusable gaskets
important to not overtighten
on a cork gasket I used Hylomar
soe do not like it on rubber gasket but I do
perhaps those with problems with gasket moving overtighten- IDK
There’s a black version I would get. The felpro cork gasket has a rubberized coating.

I don’t like buying from eBay. Little recourse if the parts are Chinese’s junk. If they say an extension isn’t needed, I’m suspicious already. I’d go with a pan kit from A&A Trans, Cope, TRS Racing, or someone similar. If you get a deep pan, get the extension to go with it.

trans6.jpg
Bought same one. It's OK for a cheap pan, Glued gasket to pan and let dry some then to top of gasket. Had to really tighten drain plug to stop drop forming. Ok if funds are tight. I'm just cheap.:rolleyes:
Picture added.

Last edited:
I don’t like buying from eBay. Little recourse if the parts are Chinese’s junk. If they say an extension isn’t needed, I’m suspicious already. I’d go with a pan kit from A&A Trans, Cope, TRS Racing, or someone similar. If you get a deep pan, get the extension to go with it.

Indeed it is best to go with a known brand.
I believe they will offer the pan including the needed suction screen extension.
Having a deeper pan does indeed not require an extension but you need to wonder why going for a deep pan then in the first place?!
More fluid would stay a little cooler perhaps if the pan provides good heat dissipation.

:thumbsup:
I agree sir! Plus, using the stock pickup in a deep pan allows more space for the fluid to move away from it--not good.

I prefer the steel-reinforced neoprene gasket, like they use on the modern stuff. Costs more but I've removed and replaced mine a few times already, no leaks.

Summit, jegs, and classic industries all sell this pan with good reviews. Im not seeing a listing for an extension anywhere for this pan. I Just contacted a seller on ebay about this pan they said they’ve sold tons of this pans with no complaints.

Summit, jegs, and classic industries all sell this pan with good reviews. Im not seeing a listing for an extension anywhere for this pan. I Just contacted a seller on ebay about this pan they said they’ve sold tons of this pans with no complaints.
It's a standard depth pan, no filter extension for filter.

Here's the first of many results that came up-
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sme-1009-fs

Think about it for a second. Would you put the engine oil pickup 2 inches from the top of the oil level?

for a pan gasket this is the best I've used
Mopar 727 transmission pan gasket 2464324ac and it is reusable to.

View attachment 975435 Bought same one. It's OK for a cheap pan, Glued gasket to pan and let dry some then to top of gasket. Had to really tighten drain plug to stop drop forming. Ok if funds are tight. I'm just cheap.:rolleyes:
Picture added.

I bought the same one!! It was that pan for about $30 or a factory looking pan for $80. It works good with a cork gasket glued to the pan.

I bought this Moroso unit and their 93110 gasket. I must've gotten it on sale because I definitely didn't spend $250.

It is a nice piece with a rigid flange, good reviews. I just got the trans back in the car and haven't loaded it with fluid yet, so no personal experience there.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/42080/10002/-1

more fluid does not coo better
deep pan has more slosh so do use the extension
off roading or steep hills can uncover the pickup
junkyard od pan and an extension

more fluid does not coo better
deep pan has more slosh so do use the extension
off roading or steep hills can uncover the pickup
junkyard od pan and an extension

I would have to disagree with much of this; more fluid allows for more heat exchange and if you keep the fluid level where it is supposed to be, it will not uncover the pickup any more than the standard one. Deep pans have been available for a very long time and used is many forms of auto sports not to mention most modern transmissions come with deeper pans. Not trying to start any argument, just saying that deep pans have benefits.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back