• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'73 Charger Build Log

Ah I live in FL. Most every girl in her 20's is a stripper down here! You pull out a roll of dollars the clothes come off quick! Just the other day I was talking with a girl I used to work with she was with her friends she said I think I want to get my tots pearced I said hmm never seen a set in person her friends all 3 same time pulled there tops up or down and said here! I thanked god and stared !!!

Ah I live in FL. Most every girl in her 20's is a stripper down here! You pull out a roll of dollars the clothes come off quick! Just the other day I was talking with a girl I used to work with she was with her friends she said I think I want to get my tots pearced I said hmm never seen a set in person her friends all 3 same time pulled there tops up or down and said here! I thanked god and stared !!!

Ah what a life!!!

Now back to the subject at hand, Triple Black 73's beautiful Charger!!

Pulley sorted. No water pump leak. Still need a lower hose, fan shroud, a third 16" pusher fan, and one of those fancy digital fan controller.
Message_1520712629551.jpg

The car looks great ! Since your done with it and you have the urge to build another come on down to FL. And give me a hand ! I have basically everything here all I'm really waiting on is a stripper .metal repair and paint . Once that's done it's smooth sailing !

I'll be down to take a week off if you have a place for me to crash, feed me, and support my drinking habits. I like steak, chicken wings, and good beer.

Well I got a spare room but beer is in short supply here but I do have a meat market behind my house !

Well I got a spare room but beer is in short supply here but I do have a meat market behind my house !

If you're serious, PM me and let's figure something out. I got a week of vacation left for the year. I love working on these old cars, but I don't like spending money on them.

Winter 2019 Update:

Hellwig sway bar. Awesome upgrade. Clear everything. Handling was greatly improved. Install was easy enough.
20181003_175712.jpg

For my Winter Project I was debating between pulling the seats and dash or upgrading to EFI. One cold crappy drive home sold me on the EFI. I'm also upgrading headlights, fans, ammeter bypass, and running a 4awg power wire from the alternator to battery

Below is a Holley Sniper EFI 550-511 throttle body, Holley 12-130 Fuel pump, Holley Sniper HyperSpark 565-305 Distributor. I did not get the Sniper HyperSpark CD Ignition box and coil because it was out of stock when I order everything. I'll use the old coil for now then upgrade over the summer. Not shown is the grand plus of AN fuel line, AN fittings, filter, throttle cable, kick down cables, power cable, plugs, zip ties, and various other 'support' items that nickle and dime you to death when doing a project like this.

20181225_102438.jpg

ThermoQuad verse Sniper EFI. We're going to put the Thermo-Quad on the iron intake and drop it into an old Ram truck.

20181225_132029.jpg

Everything connected minus power cables.

20190125_204246.jpg

20190125_204251 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Wow that efi setup looks quite pricey! I belobel we need a video of it running now !

god damn , i need to move to Florida...

Wow that efi setup looks quite pricey! I belobel we need a video of it running now !

If I stuck to doing just the EFI throttle body, an external fuel pump with the stock pickup, hard lines, and stock distributor, the whole project would be about $1,200. However, I'm way past that thanks to scope creep and changing plans.

I might have it running by next weekend if I complete the following tasks this week:
  1. Finishing the power upgrade and weld the O2 sensor bung to the exhaust. (This weekend)
  2. Secure the braided stainless steel fuel lines. (Parts are in the mail)
  3. Modifying the gas tank for the EFI fuel pump. (Dropping the tank off next Tuesday)
The tank needs to have a 6"x6"x1.5" section cut out for a stainless steel 'tray' to be TIG welded. The tray will mount the fuel pump.

Something like this:
AR385e (Medium) (1).JPG

If I stuck to doing just the EFI throttle body, an external fuel pump with the stock pickup, hard lines, and stock distributor, the whole project would be about $1,200. However, I'm way past that thanks to scope creep and changing plans.

I might have it running by next weekend if I complete the following tasks this week:
  1. Finishing the power upgrade and weld the O2 sensor bung to the exhaust. (This weekend)
  2. Secure the braided stainless steel fuel lines. (Parts are in the mail)
  3. Modifying the gas tank for the EFI fuel pump. (Dropping the tank off next Tuesday)
The tank needs to have a 6"x6"x1.5" section cut out for a stainless steel 'tray' to be TIG welded. The tray will mount the fuel pump.

Something like this:
View attachment 713863

I had a tank made :)

IMG_2048.jpg received_306616893443031.jpeg

Fancy! Looks like it's a few gallons bigger than stock, too!

I don't remember the numbers off the top of my head , but where the belt seam is on the original tank , I added 2" inches to the depth..so it was originally 18 gal , now 22 gal ? ? Just a guess , that whole length x width x subtract the angle part = volume stuff was too mathy for me .lol
I ordered it , re bent a new set of stock fuel tank straps , added longer j bolts , and it fits ..
Sort of ..I had to cut a dog house in the trunk to access the fuel pump .. re form part of the trunk floor for the sending unit ,
And have one hell of a fuel line issue now ( 2 an8 1an6) but the 4 link and dual 3" exhaust are adding to that problem too..

Unintended consequences, oh well , it's a hobby :D
It will get worked out ..

I don't remember the numbers off the top of my head , but where the belt seam is on the original tank , I added 2" inches to the depth..so it was originally 18 gal , now 22 gal ? ? Just a guess , that whole length x width x subtract the angle part = volume stuff was too mathy for me .lol
I ordered it , re bent a new set of stock fuel tank straps , added longer j bolts , and it fits ..
Sort of ..I had to cut a dog house in the trunk to access the fuel pump .. re form part of the trunk floor for the sending unit ,
And have one hell of a fuel line issue now ( 2 an8 1an6) but the 4 link and dual 3" exhaust are adding to that problem too..

Unintended consequences, oh well , it's a hobby :D
It will get worked out ..

I'm having similar problems running fuel lines. The 3" exhaust and sub frame connectors block normal routes from the tank to the engine.

So, I'm thinking my best bet is to run the two -6 AN stainless steel braided PTFE fuel lines over the transmission and through the driveshaft tunnel on the right side wall. The lines will be secured with threaded rivets and -6 AN line holders. I'll fab up a simple aluminum shield/cover for the lines to protect the lines from oil, heat, and mainly the driveshaft exploding. What do you think?

After that, I'm not completely sure what I'm doing once I get to the end of the tunnel. Maybe I'll run the lines up and to the left, hugging the floor and frame rails until I get to the fuel pump on the driver's side. The line have a 4 inch bend radius but it's still going to be tight fit. I have a GM style 100 psi 10 micron quick disconnect filter to mount somewhere back there. I'm very glad the sway bar mounts under the axle as the OEM style or the Firm Feel bars would makes things even more complex. A four link would make the install super complex!

Here's the threaded riveter and the AN line holders I'm thinking of using.
s-l1000.jpg s-l1600.jpg

Now that's a thought..but if you ever want to go to the strip , even for test and tune just for fun , you wouldn't be allowed to run , fuel lines can not be in line of sight of rotating mass (driveshaft)

Now here's where my thinking is taking me ..
Since my fuel pump is already in the trunk ,
Frame rail .... my frame rail is already plated from the 4 link kit .. I have cut a small hole in the top of the trunk floor at the very top of the frame wheel arch , and an access hole/panel where the front of the frame rail is welded to the subframe connector through the back seat floor .. pushed a flexible camera all the way through ...
Theres enough room in the subframe connector to fit the lines ...
Now the front of the connector is welded to the crossmember up front , and it just so happens that if I pulled the line through they will exit in the exact same place the stock lines would be ..

So..what I would need todo...fab up some kind of box / plate to hold bulkhead fittings in the trunk /
Then hard line from bulkhead across trunk floor to fuel pump , then fab up some sheetmetal as a cover / protection to cover trunk lines and after all testing rivet or stud and nut the cover with seam sealer to trunk floor ...

As for line , an8 feed , an8 return , an6 vent
Ptfp stainless braid nylon coated black using zip tie loom to hold them flat or in a row ..then 1" kevlar hose sleeve for extra rub protection.. and pull the unit in like pulling wires in a pipe .

I have the line (that was EXPENSIVE) most of the exploratory done need to get a bunch of an fittings..

The car at the moment is out in the tent because I accidentally bought a harly an it's in the garage (it's the shorter project, will be riding in spring )

Or I would send you some pic ..

Btw, planning on dual quad efi , have a aeromotive flex stealth pump , the largest single motor fuel pump they make , hence the an8 lines.

My biggest fear is some kind of fuel line failure, so I am taking my time planning this out , I want no way for fuel to enter the cab..

I'm still in the ground up stage of my build so these modifications are no big deal...unlike yours that has a complete interior..

Well hell. That's why I ask about things like this. Guess I need to find another way to run the lines because I plan to run it on the track when I get better gears. (2.73 gears don't accelerate worth a flip!)

I really want to put the pump in the center of the tank but I fear I'll foul the sending unit ball if I do that. I'll see what I can do tomorrow with the old tank before messing up the good tank.

Sounds like you got one hell of a setup!

You ain't kidding about the cost. I spent over $200 on 30 feet of -6an and 8 fittings.

I looked up the NHRA rules. Lines must be run 12 inches from the bell housing and never through the tunnel.

I guess that means I need to run across the firewall then down on the right side like the factory lines are ran. That means I need to open up the hole where the factory lines ran through the transmission cross member and along the right side rocker panel then along the frame rail and over to the pump. Man I hope I can install the pump in the center of the tank. And I'll need to wrap it with a rubber hose where it passes through and heat shielding where it run close to the headers.

The challenge is the tool I need to open the hole is in Alabama and the car is in Georgia.

I thought that I read that the file line must not be run in a way that a broken universe or yoke or loose driveshaft can strike it ...

Yeah...its a challenge alright :O

Auto Transport Service
Back