• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 Charger - Rear bumper on 71-72 brackets- do I need a 71-72 fuel filler tube ?

fanucme

Local time
4:36 PM
Reaction score
I moved in my rear bumper on my 73 Charger using the earlier 71-72 bumper brackets.
I have installed a new fuel tank and have yet to find the grommet to replace the dried up old one , so I dont know how the 73 filler tube is going to fit

Does anybody know if I am going to need to find a filler tube from an earlier car so it fits behind the license plate bracket ?
thanks in advance ,
Dennis

Did the same to my 73 and the filler tube just fits. its tight but the shorter one is not much easier to use anyway. Still a pain when fueling up. I remember my 72 charger and i thought it sucked to put gas in when I was 17 and had to kneel down on one knee to do it. now I am 40 and the 73 with modified bumper does not seem much more difficult.

Quick question because I'm curious and dont know... What is the advantage other than wieght savings, is swapping out the 73-74 brackets for the 71-72 brackets?

Swapping the brackets allows you to pull the bumpers in closer to the body and delete the rubbery bumper filler for a cleaner look. Also the bumper fillers are hard to find in nice condition and are not repoped so this leaves an ugly gap and most cars I see are missing at least one or more sections. This has become a popular swap so the 71 -72 brackets are becoming hard to find and pricey.

Quick question because I'm curious and dont know... What is the advantage other than wieght savings, is swapping out the 73-74 brackets for the 71-72 brackets?
IMHO, nothing. It looks as if there is something missing with out the fillers on a 73-4. But that is just MHO.

ODZKing is correct. It does look as if something is missing unless you have the chrome body trim around the bumper which helps for a more finished look.

Ok cool and thank you for the answers and opinions for sure. I have been thinking about doing the following to my dart but may also be doable with my charger as we'll....

I was thinking of moving the numbers closer to the body by drilling into the hydronic bumper cylinders and slightly collapsing them then welding up the holes once I have the look I want. I know it's done with the 73 to 76 a bodies. So now knowing the reason for changing to the earlier brackets, is drilling the cylinders on the 73 & 74 not feasible or advised?

Sorry but I'm just trying to further understand

Thank you all again for any insight

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

IMHO, nothing. It looks as if there is something missing with out the fillers on a 73-4. But that is just MHO.
Even if they are pulled in with the earlier brackets? The pic is of a 73. The filler has an odd look, but normal. ToyDriveCarShowNovember23,2013 016.jpg

I also slotted the mounting holes on the front bumper to push it back and do away with the front fillers as well. My car looks shorter and more like a 71=72.

Ok cool and thank you for the answers and opinions for sure. I have been thinking about doing the following to my dart but may also be doable with my charger as we'll....

I was thinking of moving the numbers closer to the body by drilling into the hydronic bumper cylinders and slightly collapsing them then welding up the holes once I have the look I want. I know it's done with the 73 to 76 a bodies. So now knowing the reason for changing to the earlier brackets, is drilling the cylinders on the 73 & 74 not feasible or advised?

Sorry but I'm just trying to further understand

Thank you all again for any insight

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

my 74 does not have any cylinders. they are normal brackets. I am about to do the same and recess the front and rear. here is a thread on the front bumper. I am going to cut and weld my rear brackets, and rework the fronts

http://wichargerguy.proboards.com/thread/15347/recessing-73-front-bumper

Auto Transport Service
Back