• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 Roadrunner, Non-AC install suggestions.

norbe5

Local time
5:43 AM
Reaction score
Hey all,
Currently going to start the process of installing A/C on my 73 roadrunner. Can’t drive the car in the is south Texas heat without it!
My only question is, do you all suggest to just do the universal under dash units they sell for these cars? Or would you try to get the factory correct A/c dash’s for the unit? Would it be just a bit more $ wise to try the factory look or just go universal route?

Thanks

IMG_3262.jpeg

Did you look at Vintage Air?

As @Billccm said or Classic Auto Air. They both have quality units for a more factory look.

Yes I messaged them and they said they don’t have a direct fit for my car only the universal kits like the picture I added
Are your photos of VA products? The VA and CAA universal kits/component systems use in dash outlets to achieve a OEM look.
Mike

Are your photos of VA products? The VA and CAA universal kits/component systems use in dash outlets to achieve a OEM look.
Mike
Yeah that’s from the vintage air catalog. They gave me some info but I was confused with them so came to this forum instead to see if I could get some better insight

The panel over the glove box is relatively easy to replace and on an AC car, contains 3 of the 4 vents.
They are easy to find, but the price has gone up quite a bit in the last few years.
The ducting behind it is also easy to find and relatively cheap.

The problem is with the outboard driver's side vent.
The dases are different between AC and non AC cars and on non AC cars that hole is not stamped out.
Bummer.
Swapping the dash frame also means you will need to address the VIN plate.
Bummer x2.

I'd be tempted to add the factory panel above the glove box, and then add an aftermarket vent on the outboard driver's side.

I used a VA kit in my 65 Belvedere. Not shown are the 4 under dash VA defroster outlets I chose for lap cooling. I split the evaporator outlets with wyes to duct air to a pair of outlets on each side of the car. I also had to use the 3 duct model because my trans tunnel was too large to accommodate the 4 duct outlet model.
Mike
IMG_2701.JPG
IMG_2702.JPG
IMG_2705.JPG
IMG_2485.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back