• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 Satellite wagon update.

What gauges are those in your "new" guage cluster?

Stock gauges. I found a housing that had the 4 gauges in the small pods, and the optional clock. I swapped the clock for a repro tach IIRC R/T Specialties, and used a early 150 speedo. to make them easier for me to see at night I slapped a cheapo stick on white gauge face set and painted the needles bright red. I want to eventually take the bulb filters off and use drop in red LED's.

Next round. I know I need to put pics up but cannot do so by phone. I got 2 MP XHD right side springs, going to flip the hangers when I toss them in. Fingers crossed they will work well without having to swap around leafs to tune them.

Since I'll be towing and finding everything to make the full manual conversion has been a PITA, to help the 904 survive ordered the Transgo TF-2 kit, deep pan, big ole trans cooler, and Lokar cable kick down conversion (to replace my hodge podge super tweaked 4bbl linkage setup I snagged from a van). I'm still fighting the cam but couldn't justify getting a higher stall converter.

Finally Thursday I'll crawl around the yards to find a class III receiver I can bolt up with minimal mods and tuck the rear bumper with the 71 brackets I snagged from a 71 Coronet at Turners Auto in Fresno. :)

I'm in the "South Bay". I think I've seen your car? Do you work at a company that's name starts with "X"?

Didn't get quite as much done as I wanted during my vacation but did get a couple things bolted up. Put the new leafs in. Sits a little low, so considering getting them re-arched, or adding 1 more full length leaf.

1.jpg

2.jpeg

Took 1 day off and helped a friend get his 440 6 pack, 4 speed RR started to break in the cam. :)

3.jpg

The 904 was getting over-run by the 340, so decided to kit it until I can find all I need for the manual trans swap. Oh what a difference, got the TF2 and did a combo of mods to get the shifting how I like it. Its smooth while cruising, yet still instantaneous. Past 1/2 throttle its bark the tires on both the 1-2, and 2-3 upshifts. Sooooo much fun to drive now.

4.jpg

5.jpg
6.jpg

Trans mount had seen better days.

7.jpg
8.jpg

Your wagon looks slick sitting just the way it is. But you are right on adding a leaf or doing the re-arch so you can get some load capacity.

image-20170216_185914.jpg
image-20170219_204451.jpg
20170219_210354.jpg
20170219_104219.jpg
20170219_104148.jpg
20170212_105652.jpg
20170205_163731.jpg
image-20170127_113913.jpg
20170125_100634 (1).jpg

Finally got a little more work in. Been taking longer trips and even in the cool weather the temp would start to rise. The old 18" 2 row rad just isn't up to snuff, and will be nothing but trouble towing 2k #'s in the Summer. Got a Chumpion, er, Champion 4 row rad off of fleabay. Had to do some minor trimming on the lower bracket but it doesn't leak I took a run up the mountain and the gauge didn't move off 180. Now to find or make a shroud. :-/

When I pulled up to the house though the oil filter adapter seal blew and puked oil on the header. Swapped the poor fitting stamped piece for a iron 90 degree bit I had on the shelf.

With the alternator upgrade I ran the charge line to the starter relay effectively rendering the ammeter useless. I found a outfit in the UK that makes a multi color LED in 14mm meant for monitoring the charge system for old British bikes. It snapped in perfectly where the OEM radio went. Red for discharge, green for charging, yellow for overcharging.

Scored a 4 speed trans, but still need everything else. Going to stuff it with the gear set from Passon and go back to the 4.10's in the rear.

In other news I am almost done with the disk brake swap on my buddies 57 Imperial, that's been fun. Hahha!

Finally, been planning on hitting Speed Week at Bonneville. Been putting together a brand X car, but the opportunity to get a ex Bonneville racecar, Hemi Superbird, has presented itself. My friends and I are scrambling to pick up this beast!

Last edited:
Why did you not go with the 9.25 rear end as you had originally tried to do?

Not much has been happening with the car other than the occasional drive around town, been working on other projects. I did take the Lunati 284 Bracket Master cam out in favor of the Comp Cams XE268, and topped with a Airgap intake.

20170919_184225 (1).jpg

I am l
I ran it for a little while, but the 2.90 gears were no fun. I swapped to the 8.75 so I can swap gears on a whim. ;-)
I am looking to swap a 9.25 rear end with 3.92 gears under my RR, what problems did you encounter? The rear end I am working with came out of 2001 Durango RT and has rear disc brakes.

I am l

I am looking to swap a 9.25 rear end with 3.92 gears under my RR, what problems did you encounter? The rear end I am working with came out of 2001 Durango RT and has rear disc brakes.

The one I put in was from a 75 Imperial, so it was a bolt in for my car. I had a 8.25 in the car originally, the 8.25 and 9.25 have the same axle centerline to pinion U joint length and both had 7260 u joints so was able to re-use my driveshaft. For yours, you will have to have perches added under the axle, and double check the axle width. As far as parking brake and brake line I won't know that off the top of my head without looking

So I just picked up a 72 satellite wagon and it needs a little love. I figured this is about the best place to ask what size wheels are you guys running on the wagon? I was looking at some 15x8 mopar police wheels with 4.5 backspacing but was unsure as this is my first B body and wagon at that? Anything on these wagons that stand out as a problem area? So far mine seems pretty solid. I need to go through and replace weather stripping and the headliner is missing, but other than that the 318 seems to run pretty dang good.

Thanks in advance, your wagon is friggin boss!

Auto Transport Service
Back