• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74 Charger SE B body Engines?

robw13

Local time
11:34 AM
Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone know what engines will go in a 74 Charger SE B body? Its got a 5.9 360 in it now and didnt know if I could pull any 360 engine out to fit it?

You can use slant 6, 318, 340, 360, 400, 440. 383 will fit as its similar to 400. I'm not sure about a Hemi, but I would say more than likely.

Yes, K frames are different small block to big block.
Transmission may be as well. For example a 400 or 440 will burn up a 904 fairly quickly.

So if I stuck with a 360, would one out of a ram work? Would I need to check the frames 1st?

Any 360 will fit. You will need to use the oil pan that is on the 360 in your Charger.

- - - Updated - - -

I wanted to add that a K-frame is a K-frame. Big and small block are the same. Only the engine mounts are different.

6pak. I do know in previous years (like my 67 for example) they are the same. And let me say I have never compared them side by side, myself. However saying that I have had many people tell me 73-4 B body are different.
And something must be since there are 3 part numbers listed. 6, sb, bb.
Can you elaborate any further? You have me curious now.
00crossmember.jpg

All I know is that I just bolted the 440 in. The oil pan was different from the 72 and older cars. That was it. It has been years since I did it. I think I used 400 motor mounts on a 1970 440 and bolted it in where the 318 was. Now I am curious also. I just asked a friend who put a big block in his 73 Charger. He said he used the 318 K frame. So why 3 k-frames?

If I dropped in a magnum motor out of a 98+ ram, what all has to be changed in order to use it?

I have a 383 on my 318 74 Kframe and it fits easily BUT the engine sit about an inch or so higher than it should. I found this out when attempting to use a 20" clutch fan in place of the fixed 18" unit and the 20" wont clear the shroud so had to stay with the fixed fan. I do have a BB Kframe that I'll be reconditioning and using.

also as was mentioned you will need the correct engine mounts (spool) or conversion mounts also the oil pan 971 if going BB.

- - - Updated - - -

just noticed you said 98magnum

Others will have to add as I'm not familiar with the newer engines and transmissions

K found out that I've got a 318 poly instead of a 360. So, would it be best to swap it for a 318/360 magnum or LA? What's all needed if I go for a Magnum?

K found out that I've got a 318 poly instead of a 360. So, would it be best to swap it for a 318/360 magnum or LA? What's all needed if I go for a Magnum?
I personally prefer the LA small blocks but the magnums are good blocks and many guys make good power with them. You should be able to toss a SB right in to your current mounts without any issues. Another thing I have read is that Poly transmissions have an extra bolt hole when you hook up a magnum/LA motor but it doesn't seem to matter too much.

Here's some differences between the Magnums and LA's.
LA's use unweighted torque converters (360's are different animals as they are externally balanced).And a weighted converter off a 360LA is not correct for a 360 Magnum. And I believe that pushrod angles are different also. The Magnums do NOT oil up through the block and heads as the LA, but rather through the pushrods like some Brand X's.
Also, Intake bolts are at a different angle; I think around 45 degrees for the LA and 90 degrees for the Magnum? <---- Don't quote me on that!
Magnum heads require a Magnum intake.
I'm sure I forgot some stuff but this should be a good start for you! :VB toast:

K, so if get a 318/360 magnum motor from a ram, would I just need mounts, ele fuel pump, w. Harness & flex plate or diff tranny?

I'd like to see a pic of a poly engine in a 73/74 Charger.

K, so if get a 318/360 magnum motor from a ram, would I just need mounts, ele fuel pump, w. Harness & flex plate or diff tranny?

Oil pan and pickup.

...and think about the "front end"- timing cover and belt driven accessories.
Magnum serpentine belt or swap on the LA style stuff.

Search around this forum and magnumswaps.com there's been numerous discussions.

Here the top view of it.
Stock 318 Poly, 318 la Heads, 360 2bbl Manifold, 2bbl Holley 2210 Carb
20141202_075902.jpg20141202_075909.jpg

Poly and LA do not interchange heads.

That's an LA motor.

What does the casting # say on the side of the block?

Did you get a chance to look at magnumswaps.com?

All your info is there.

Auto Transport Service
Back