• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

75 Charger Hellqueen Project build

Maybe i should stress whats already on my car before people jump on assumptions.
maybe i should re read what i wrote because i meant to state exactly opposite of you. I KNOW lower rocker ratio reduces lift and coil bind.... i figured we all knew this as its simple physics. Im going to school for mechanical engineering but im still learning as i go with cars. But i am horrible at typing as i cant type as fast as i think (not a technology guy)
I agree with the above that i cant buy parts for a build and use em now and then later but i never planed to especially on used parts. However i like my intake but i never said its staying. It was just free with the car.
I mainly need to know now what cam WILL pass emissions with stock torque converter and do OK on my single plane. Im ASSUMING i want more duration with a single plane and less lift to keep steady volumetric pressure and vaccum for it to be emission worthy? Not expecting alot of gains just something the 600cfm afb carb will feed a little better to help emissions. Im doing this from collapsing a lifter a bit, that or its sticking as its noisy but lately if i beat up the car or its sits it gets bad depending on temperature. Im inspecting damage to see how the block is when i do this to decide if im getting a donor motor or not and ill have the current block tested and all that bankrupting stuff.
sorry this thread has been confusing but life aituations cause setbacks. Ive decided to simplify things in the future to keep the track and point on topic

- - - Updated - - -

O and also forgot i have a different build going on in my 95 jetta for a turbo swap plus other two jobs and school. This is why my progress is slow but pictures coming next week with all the warm temps coming up.

So deciding what I'm doing became easier. Just jetted carb last week and passed emissions. Thanks for all the help.
So remember that letter problem mentioned earlier... Guess what it wasn't bad lifters... I washed engine bay and forgot to cover breathers and was in a rush that day . I soaked the breather filters setting moisture in oil I a decent amount. Enough that water worked into a lifter on second bank. Explains why sometime "magically" it was there or not. So drained it and changed and quiet as a kitten. However there was metallic and car was run hard that week so I'm sure I ruined bearings. Hope not though.

Also talked to a mopar builder and swears on me hitting 350HP on just smog heads, redoing rear end to 391 gears some bowl blending and mild paperwork and an xe268 cam and 2.02 valves
I know I have bolt on crap as is but they were free or cheap and can be disposed of or sold. My current setup was never set as a match together and I have a year to do this. The best thing about this is the car if tuned correctly will pass California smog which means it'll pass Colorado smog :)
Will set up pictures sometime today if I get her cleaned up. Drives amazing and hauls as is.... Keep in mind car was restored at some point and I don't know what's in it but I keep up or pass 350s with a mild can and gearing so can't wait to tear into it!

• [*]Dodge Magnum XE 360-4 V-8 TorqueFlite, model year 1978, version for North America California (U.S.) (up to October)
    [*]2-door coupe body type
    [*]RWD (rear-wheel drive), automatic 3-speed gearbox
    [*]petrol (gasoline) engine with displacement: 5898 cm3 / 359.9 cui, advertised power: 126.5 kW / 170 hp / 172 PS ( SAE net ), Torque net: 366 Nm / 270 lb-ft
    [*]characteristic dimensions: outside length: 5481 mm / 215.8 in, wheelbase: 2918 mm / 114.9 in
    [*]reference weights: base curb weight: 1845 kg / 4067 lbs
    [*]how fast is this car ? top speed: 186 km/h (116 mph) (theoretical);
    [*]accelerations: 0- 60 mph 12.3 s; 0- 100 km/h 13.1 s (simulation ©automobile-catalog.com); 1/4 mile drag time (402 m) 19 s (simulation ©automobile-catalog.com)
    [*]fuel consumption and mileage: 12/19 mpg (U.S.), 19.6/12.4 l/100km, 14.4/22.7 mpg (imp.), 5.1/8.1 km/l EPA ratings average estimated by a-c: 17.7 l/100km / 16 mpg (imp.) / 13.3 mpg (U.S.) / 5.7 km/l

SO... in the above scenario....we take a very mildly upgraded cam..and you assume the published lift (which is usually with a factory rocker arm ratio, despite whatever it is), is incorrect...and by theoretically REDUCING published lift with a 1.43 ratio, you create coil bind by REDUCING lift?
100% and completely opposite of the way it works...
I suggest you throw whatever stack of books you're reading abruptly in the trash can. lol

I really don't know how much i can stress seeking some serious accurate mechanical guidance before turning a single bolt on this car. very little of anything i'm reading in this thread is "mechanically accurate" I'm taking this as you're a younger guy, trying to learn as much as you can. But just because you read something somewhere online, or a single plane intake worked for one guy on one thread...it shouldn't take a permanent spot in your build, or your head for that matter.

Is that on the four barrel model?
I have had the engine checked out recently. Has been rebuilt before me. Cylinders bored .030 over. The transmission had been rebuilt ten years ago by a shop in loveland (found documentation)
It's unfortunate my build sheet was destroyed due to a frame plug that was ruined on the floor so water made it unrocognizable.
The car shifts hard but I'm unsure if it has a shift kit but it works perfectly just had a leek in the line going to the cooler.
The motor doesn't smoke and since I found out why my lifter was acting up I'm gonna save up to just simply to work on my smog heads.
To the best of my knowledge I'm learning as I go (hopefully no shame in that)
Thanks for all the help guys.

Auto Transport Service
Back