• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

78 volare RR wagon ????

hacksaw

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:23 AM
Reaction score
is this worth haveing ????? Im not a big F body fan but a wagon with a RR package ... odd 3.23 sure grip ... 318 .... 4 speed ....

00n0n_iulzp29Gnhc_600x450.jpg 00101_bOdTtrP4gfC_600x450.jpg

I don't see it as a very desirable car but with those options (If it was built that way) are pretty cool. I would love that as a driver. Odd but cool. Just my 2 cents worth.

Yeah, Dodge had the Aspen R/T wagon back then too. I worked at a Dodge dealership back then .I remember the sales photos of the wagon. We never got one in,and have never seen one for real but they did make them. Not many around when new,many less now a days.

I believe the 1980 load runners had the body kit stuff, and 318 and stick was available in any F-body.

Last edited:
To my recollection, there was no such thing as a road runner package in a volare wagon, nor a R/T package in an aspen wagon.

to my recollection.. Manual transmissions in these were common up here.. No such thing as a RR wagon in these.. I worked at Budget Rent a car as a evening part time job at the airport when these were new and a Chrysler Body shop by day.. its just a common Volare / aspen wagon..

A farmer I new once tryed to give me a Volare' RR. I went out back to his woods. It was a complete car with all graphics. The car was sooo rusted out, nothing worth saveing. Window down. Sad to see.

Iv seen a bunch of F bodys with a stick. All were slant 6erz never a V8. Will do the fender tag tomarow when i go see it .... still kinda a cool package tho. Make a good drag car. ... Can't go wrong with a V8 4speed sure grip from maw mopar.

You are correct No R/T,( hey I'm old and getting forgetful) it was a Aspen Super Coupe(That don't make sense) wagon. Had the ground effects and stripes.Maybe it too was called a Sport Package. Dealers did allot of their own stripes and such, Same with sun roofs, landau tops etc. Anything to sale a car. We did get a plain brown Aspen wagon sales bank car in with a 318, a 3 speed manual on the floor, manual steering but power brakes and radio delete. Thought that it would never sale. It did in a day.

Nevertheless, having lived the era when these cars came & went, my own personal, biased opinion: I see this car as something you buy cheap & have fun with it. The key words: cheap... fun.

You are correct No R/T,( hey I'm old and getting forgetful) it was a Aspen Super Coupe(That don't make sense) wagon. Had the ground effects and stripes.Maybe it too was called a Sport Package. Dealers did allot of their own stripes and such, Same with sun roofs, landau tops etc. Anything to sale a car. We did get a plain brown Aspen wagon sales bank car in with a 318, a 3 speed manual on the floor, manual steering but power brakes and radio delete. Thought that it would never sale. It did in a day.
I'm older than you... what were we talking about ?????? :eek:

Truthfully, after 74 we that worked at the dealership wanted to hurl as to what was coming out of Chrysler Corp.My god, look what they did to the Charger for 75. We know that the company was at the brink of being bankrupt,but who was designing these cars ? PUKE ! And a Aspen R/T with so many tape stripes and a 360 4 speed with a 2 barrel ? We were so set in our way. WileERobby you are right, If I could I would snatch that up with the thought, "How neat is this stick shift wagon?!"

I love it...lol. It's rare. But "desirable" and "rare" are two entirely separate descriptions. Desirable automatically includes worth something. Rare does not.

The 4 speed in that is really a 3 speed with an overdrive 4th gear. It isn't a great performance transmission. I saw the car on Craigslist, I didn't see anything indicating a 'Road Runner Package'. Anyways, the Volare wagon is a great sized wagon. I had a 79 that was my daily driver for years, until someone ran me up over a curb and bent the frame. I still miss that car. I am looking for another but prefer an automatic. I like wagons and they can be made into fun cars to drive. The thing about F-bodies is to look out for frame rot. It is repairable, but will take effort to fix.
If that car was an automatic and the frame was good, I would buy it in a heartbeat.
Not the best pic, but here is one shot of mine...
Wagon.jpg

I had a '80 Volare' wagon. Bought it at Carlisle and drove it to Nevada. Even got stopped by the Highway Patrol. Told me to slow down due to fog...I think he just wanted to look at the car .

Those F body wagons really hooked up with enough HP, and they had very generous wheel wells.

They were and still are somewhat popular with drag racers.

The OP probably saw a sport wagon.

Back in 1986, someone brought an Aspen wagon into the gas station I worked at.

It was a 360, four speed with bucket seats and rallye wheels, and it was purple!

It looked totally factory and was definitely original paint.

The 4 speed in that is really a 3 speed with an overdrive 4th gear. It isn't a great performance transmission. I saw the car on Craigslist, I didn't see anything indicating a 'Road Runner Package'. Anyways, the Volare wagon is a great sized wagon. I had a 79 that was my daily driver for years, until someone ran me up over a curb and bent the frame. I still miss that car. I am looking for another but prefer an automatic. I like wagons and they can be made into fun cars to drive. The thing about F-bodies is to look out for frame rot. It is repairable, but will take effort to fix.
If that car was an automatic and the frame was good, I would buy it in a heartbeat.
Not the best pic, but here is one shot of mine...
View attachment 512902[/QUhe he said the RR word when i called him .... didn't make it there in time to do the fender tag .... some one got there first and drove it home ..... still would have been a fun ride just as it was

I would love to get a 76/77 Volare Roadrunner but I've passed on every one I've seen because there's just no parts for them. I got the seats for my Roadrunner from a guy who tried for two years to restore an Aspen and finally gave up because he couldn't get the parts he needed.

Auto Transport Service
Back