• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'79 Sensor Shock at Intake

ybshore

Local time
2:28 PM
Reaction score
Drivers side, top of intake, more or less under the 'front' setting carb linkage. It is a 360, with a ReadytoRun dizzy and factory stock Holley 2bbl, a one-for-one swap of original without the multiple porting to run the LB system. Abandoned the LB system long time ago and in making a carb adjustment yesterday I was electrically shocked when the screwdriver made contact with the linkage and the bronze/copper plate sitting below it, mounted with two 1/2" bolts into the intake. I think it a power source for one of the sensors, the electric choke, or even the LB unit, but am not sure it has been so long. It was ground down so there are no 'connections' to mate or old wires to follow. Is it right to have electricity still flowing there? Can this be disconnected for whatever it controlled I am not using as all gauges work, etc. Thanks and Much obliged.

I'm having a hard time picturing the part in my head.....do you have a picture?

Wish I did....hard time locating it in FSM too. Need daughter phone/photo as I only own Kirk Flipper from 90's. Let me see it I can track one down on the interweb.

If ya' blow this up, the piece directly below the linkage. I presume this '78 360 is laid out the same as my '79 360.

18-1978-Chrysler-Cordoba-Down-On-The-Junkyard-Picture-courtesy-of-Phillip-Corinthian-Leather-Greden-550x412.jpg

Well, "the piece directly below the linkage"..... IF I'm looking at the correct part & correct linkage...... the 3" diameter "flying saucer" shaped part is an EGR valve which does not have any electrical connections. Not sure how you got shocked off of that part.

You probably got the shock from a plug wire touching something linked to what you came in contact with. Also make sure you have ground straps from the engine to the firewall ect.

You probably got the shock from a plug wire touching something linked to what you came in contact with. Also make sure you have ground straps from the engine to the firewall ect.

I doubt it...it will cut the motor when I hold the tip of the screwdriver and come in contact with the carb. Plus the nice lil'shock.
getPart

Well, "the piece directly below the linkage"..... IF I'm looking at the correct part & correct linkage...... the 3" diameter "flying saucer" shaped part is an EGR valve which does not have any electrical connections. Not sure how you got shocked off of that part.
getPart

getPart

I doubt it...it will cut the motor when I hold the tip of the screwdriver and come in contact with the carb. Plus the nice lil'shock.
I don't know of any 12 volt wire that would give you that much of a shock. If it's killing the engine, sounds just like if you were grounding the coil wire. See if it's touching against anything.

I don't know of any 12 volt wire that would give you that much of a shock. If it's killing the engine, sounds just like if you were grounding the coil wire. See if it's touching against anything.

It touches nothing: was only removed and 'ground' as you see. The bay has a fine strap from rear of engine to firewall. I've just never had such an experience on an LB car.

It touches nothing: was only removed and 'ground' as you see. The bay has a fine strap from rear of engine to firewall. I've just never had such an experience on an LB car.
You need to convert you pics to jpg. No can see.

Auto Transport Service
Back