• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 3/4 489 rebuild

brianbailey440

Local time
11:38 AM
Reaction score
i pulled the 489 carrier out of my 8 3/4 today.its a 3.23 sure grip,and it started making noise at the drag strip last week, so im putting the stock 741 carrier back in with 2.76 gears for now.i looked at it, and the ring and pinion look fine, but the spiders are damaged.looks like a few small chips in one of the spiders is all i can see without taking it apart.i didnt find any chunks in the housing, just some silver oil.ill admit that i have beat this thing pretty hard for the last 2,000 miles.what i would like to know is what do most of you guys do im my situation?would you send it out and have it rebuilt?or try to rebuild it yourself?never rebuilt one before, so im going in blind on this one.i live in nh, and dont know of any shops that specialize in rebuilding these carriers, any of you guys know of a good shop in nh ?i really dont want to take any chances because i plan on putting it through same abuse that it has always been through, maybe worse,lol.any good advise is much appreciated, thanks in advance.

update, i did find a few small chunks in the housing with a magnet.so i cleaned everything real good and its going back together today.the 489 yoke is 3 3/4 across and the 741 is 3 1/4 across. soo, do i need a 315 g u joint ?

Last edited:
got it all back together with a 315 g u joint. deffinately gonna get better gas milage and slower et in the 1/8, but im good with that for now. at least i can cruise for the rest of the season.it smokes one tire pretty easy with the open diff,so im gonna take it easy on her and make it last until next year.still looking for a good shop for a rebuild, in nh. anyone ?

If you are gonna rebuild and can afford it, I really love my Eaton TrueTrac, you might consider that as an option if you don't have to worry about clutches and springs anymore!
IMAG0836.jpg

Don't know of anyone up your way but what SG do you have? The Borg Warner or the Spicer Power Lock?

This is the Borg Warner cone type....

And this is the Power Lock....one is for a Dana 60 and the other is for the 8 3/4. Do ya know which one is which? :D And the PL doesn't have springs in it.

i have the borg warner type with springs.looking online they are about $1300 complete ready to bolt in. how much to rebuild one ?

i have the borg warner type with springs.looking online they are about $1300 complete ready to bolt in. how much to rebuild one ?
Depends on what all is wrong with it. They are not that hard to take apart for inspection but I do like to unbolt things evenly since there's spring pressure on the two halves. If you are interested, I can send you pics of what it looks like inside....

I just installed new Yukon gears and an Eaton Tru-Trac. As was said, no more springs or "whale oil" additive. The Eaton unit has helical gears and is very smooth on the street. No clunking; no problems...

Depends on what all is wrong with it. They are not that hard to take apart for inspection but I do like to unbolt things evenly since there's spring pressure on the two halves. If you are interested, I can send you pics of what it looks like inside....
id like to look at the pics.

I'll just add that they are not a simple bolt it together job if wanting to do it yourself. I'll never stear someone away from trying it but it pays to have a bit of a machinist type background, attention to detail and a lot of patience. Cranky's been there done that and is also a machinist so he's a good one for the job.

how much?

Check Summit for the gears and Tru-Trac. I have an 'in' for parts so my cost wouldn't apply. Figure in the install kit, new pinion and axle seals, new pinion and carrier bearings, and your local shop's labor to install it all for a total price. The gear and axle shop I used here in Northern California charged $275.to install everything, as I brought them the center section. Nothing but quiet from the rear-end now...

All in it's about $1700 for the Tru Trac, bearing kit, ring and pinion, spacer package, matching yoke, shipping, and labor, depending on who does it. Least that's what the last one I did cost.

Auto Transport Service
Back