• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 3/4 Chunk swap

Kerplunk

Local time
9:58 AM
Reaction score
Im getting ready to put the new rear chunk in my 67 belvedere, never done one before so Im wondering what bits and pieces I should order before I start.
This is what I'm thinking I'll need:

Carrier gasket,
Axle flange gaskets
Axle seals
Gear Oil + Sure grip additive.

Am I missing anything?
Should I change the axle bearings?
Ive also seen foam axle flange gaskets and steel shim ones, is their one better than the other, or do I need both?

Any advice before I start?

Thanks guys!

The foam axle flange gaskets go between the axle flange and rear brake backing plates. The steel gasket go between the backing plate and the axle housing.
Remember to set the end play on the passenger axle.

You only need the posi additive if you have the clutch type of positive carrier usually 742.

Carrier gasket is optional you can use permatex.

Make sure you check to see if the thrust pin is installed if you are using the factory type Timken bearings. If it ain't in there, you never will be able to set end play. Also, I've found that you need to use the additive on both types of SureGrip units. I've used STP when in a pinch and am using it in my Durango which has a Track Lock in it. Damn junk....the factory additive didn't cut it for that one.

The foam axle flange gaskets go between the axle flange and rear brake backing plates. The steel gasket go between the backing plate and the axle housing.
Remember to set the end play on the passenger axle.

You only need the posi additive if you have the clutch type of positive carrier usually 742.

Carrier gasket is optional you can use permatex.

Clutch type sure grips can be found in all 8 3/4" carriers 721, 742 and 489. The same one will fit all of them with a change of bearings.

and as to whether or not replace the axle bearings, well, you have them out might as well do it now.

Auto Transport Service
Back