• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 3/4 Housing - Is this crazy?

I think I’m not the only one who will remember where I was the day that…

8 3/4 is a Hotchkiss, ( along with early chevy 10 bolt, 55-64, and 9"ford), 7 1/4, 8 1/4, 9 1/4 and Dana 60 (and 12 bolt chevy, and 8.8 ford) are Salisbury rears.
I'm aware of the difference between the HOTCHKISS (8-3/4" ring gear diameter) and the Salisbury rear as my GTX has the Dana 60 rear. The GM 12 bolt rear uses a 8-7/8" ring gear diameter.....
BOB RENTON

I've seen a lot of shoddy factory stuff over the years....but NEVER seen a pile of slop like that on a rear axle. That's not factory; somebody tried to fix something there IMO.
That screams 'pilot welder' all day long...hammer and hatchet, paint it to match it!

Jeez, I thought the welds on my 8-3/4 looked like crap! But it’s held this far so… Btw, I found wire stuck in the factory floor hump welds of a 70 roadrunner I pirated the 4-speed conversion out of, so Chrysler did use MIG back in the day.

You should write a book
In another lifetime, I was involved in designing ASME Code unfired pressure vessels, where material certification and traceability documents (heat numbers) are required along with writing the weld procedure specifications (WPS) and maintaining the welder's procedure qualification records (PQR) for welding the various materials and filler metals and correct shield gases, needed along with the various methods (TIG, MIG, MIG GLUX CORE, STICK, SUB ARC) and the positions used and required. WELDING is a science and a learned technique to be able to successfully join two metals, with different methods......its not a simple as grabbing the MIG gun and having at it....so to speak......the secret.....practice, practice, practice your technique and method.
BOB RENTON

they had mig and stick and big water cooled spot welders and torches back then I worked in the factory and used all in my location , I would grind off the mess. grove the crack and weld up with 7018 lh make a jig and check for alignment when cool .

Obviously.....NO WELD PREP......grinding out the affected area to beyond the crack depth and length.....sort of a fundamental requirement......
BOB RENTON
I keep telling people... it's not the weld...it's the PREP!

Auto Transport Service
Back