• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 3/4 Housing - Is this crazy?

Yes.....but it can be used with other materials.....
Application
ER309 is used for the welding of similar alloys in wrought or cast form. It is mostly used for welding dissimilar materials such as mild steel to stainless steel, as well as for a barrier layer in stainless overlays. For some applications, welding of straight chromium steels can be accomplished with this consumable.

Deposited Chemical Composition % (Typical)
C = 0.06Mo = 0.25P = 0.018
Cr = 23.50Mn = 1.80S = 0.015
Ni = 13.0Si = 0.40Cu = 0.20

Class: ER309
AWS: A5.9
Conforms to Certification: AWS A5.9 ASME SFA A5.9
Weld Process Used for Tig (GTAW)
AWS Chemical Composition Requirements
C = 0.12 max
Cr = 23.0 – 25.0
Ni = 12.0 – 14.0
Mo = 0.75 max
Mn = 1.0 – 2.5
Si = 0.30 – 0.65
P = 0.03 max
S = 0.03 max
Cu = 0.75 max

Hope this helps.....
BOB RENTON
How bout sheet metal.

A lot depends on the material composition, parent metal, gauge of the "sheet metal", method used: MIG, TIG, SPOT, Stick electrode, amperage used, position: flat, vertical, overhead, skill of welder.......just my opinion.....
BOB RENTON
You should write a book

Yes.....but it can be used with other materials.....
Application
ER309 is used for the welding of similar alloys in wrought or cast form. It is mostly used for welding dissimilar materials such as mild steel to stainless steel, as well as for a barrier layer in stainless overlays. For some applications, welding of straight chromium steels can be accomplished with this consumable.

Deposited Chemical Composition % (Typical)
C = 0.06Mo = 0.25P = 0.018
Cr = 23.50Mn = 1.80S = 0.015
Ni = 13.0Si = 0.40Cu = 0.20

Class: ER309
AWS: A5.9
Conforms to Certification: AWS A5.9 ASME SFA A5.9
Weld Process Used for Tig (GTAW)
AWS Chemical Composition Requirements
C = 0.12 max
Cr = 23.0 – 25.0
Ni = 12.0 – 14.0
Mo = 0.75 max
Mn = 1.0 – 2.5
Si = 0.30 – 0.65
P = 0.03 max
S = 0.03 max
Cu = 0.75 max

Hope this helps.....
BOB RENTON
Yes, I'm aware of the uses for ER309, I used it to weld stainless steel wear rings into cast steel bolsters. I just wondered why you mentioned it in the first place in post #4 for a simple rear end housing.

Dirty weldmaybe someone tried to mig weld it with gear oil still around. Look for cracks!
Took a bore scope to the inside today. There is a fine crack on the inside that follows this red line.

IMG_4587.jpeg

grind it out, clean it up, and put a solid weld on it, unless you're running slicks ......... if you were near by, I'd give you a housing

Yes, I'm aware of the uses for ER309, I used it to weld stainless steel wear rings into cast steel bolsters. I just wondered why you mentioned it in the first place in post #4 for a simple rear end housing.
Its a fairly easy material to use. What method did you employ when using this material when affecting your repairs? TIG, MIG, MIG-FLUX CORE, SUB ARC or Srick.....I'd guess for field repairs, on heavy castings probably stick electrodes. A lot depends on techniques and your experience......and the overall results.....
BOB RENTON

Took a bore scope to the inside today. There is a fine crack on the inside that follows this red line.

View attachment 1529694
Obviously.....NO WELD PREP......grinding out the affected area to beyond the crack depth and length.....sort of a fundamental requirement......
BOB RENTON

Its a fairly easy material to use. What method did you employ when using this material when affecting your repairs? TIG, MIG, MIG-FLUX CORE, SUB ARC or Srick.....I'd guess for field repairs, on heavy castings probably stick electrodes. A lot depends on techniques and your experience......and the overall results.....
BOB RENTON
5/32" stick.

IMO.....it looks as if it was "welded" by a blind man using the hunt and peck method using his feet.....heavy castings should have been preheated and if I were doing it, I'd use TIG, fof better penetration using pure Argon as the shield gas ....and ER Alloy ER 309L filler metal and is of similar composition as ER 309 except for the carbon content being lower than 0.03%. This lower carbon content reduces the possibility of intergranular carbide precipitation......I'm sure others will have their own opinions and methods.
BOB RENTON
Thanks.....one could use stick electrodes.....7018 LH....maybe 1/8" diameter...for better penetration ....horizontal position....but preheat first to 300°F....try and maintain interpass temps using a TEMPEL STICK and post weld cool down......but I'm sure others will have their own methods......
BOB RENTON
Bob, the 8 3/4 housing isn't a casting......

grind it out, clean it up, and put a solid weld on it, unless you're running slicks ......... if you were near by, I'd give you a housing
If the REST of the rear is strong enough for slicks, that little crack repair wouldn't bother me at all

Assuming starting from scratch, and doing it right this time. (NO slur on o.p., I'm sure he didn't do that chicken-stuff weld!)

Thanks. If I can find a good housing locally for a few bucks I’ll pick it up. Otherwise, I’ll get this one fixed proper.

Thanks. If I can find a good housing locally for a few bucks I’ll pick it up. Otherwise, I’ll get this one fixed proper.
Fixed proper should include setting up a jig tool to make sure it's not bent.

Fixed proper should include setting up a jig tool to make sure it's not bent.
ANY time you weld on a housing, it moves but usually not enough to matter but it still a good idea to stick in an alignment bar to check them. Anyways, the majority of the work is going to be grinding off the mud dauber welds and redoing them. Then it'll take a bit of time setting up the bar and hopefully, no straightening will be needed.

Bob, the 8 3/4 housing isn't a casting......
I'm aware....but IF it were a casting (cast steel or cast iron), using the correct prep, method (TIG, MIG, etc) and filler metal COULD.be used......maybe even GAS WELDING???? The center section is a cast steel part (for strength) with axle tubes plug or puddle welded to the center.....yes??
BOB RENTON

No, it is a stamped steel. Huge press that stamps out a shape into sheet steel. Made in 3 pieces the round "cover" on the rear the top and the bottom. Welded the length and the stiffer steel flange section welded to the front opening to bolt the center into them cut to final width depending on car application and model year. Then the ends are welded on. The ends would be the only cast steel in the housing and they are radially welded all the way around.

I'm aware....but IF it were a casting (cast steel or cast iron), using the correct prep, method (TIG, MIG, etc) and filler metal COULD.be used......maybe even GAS WELDING???? The center section is a cast steel part (for strength) with axle tubes plug or puddle welded to the center.....yes??
BOB RENTON
The Center section of a 8 3/4 is bolted in like a 9 inch Ford

8 3/4 is a Hotchkiss, ( along with early chevy 10 bolt, 55-64, and 9"ford), 7 1/4, 8 1/4, 9 1/4 and Dana 60 (and 12 bolt chevy, and 8.8 ford) are Salisbury rears.

Auto Transport Service
Back