• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8-3/4 Rear Axle Bearings

The Chrysler engineered Timken tapered rollers are what the factory used. They have worked in millions of cars for millions of miles. NO ONE can say they don't work properly. Now, the question always comes up about switching to the Green Bearings, and if anyone has had problems. Some have had issues, some have not... Always the same possibility of problems. Why take the chance???
Just my opinion, but I know which way I will always go.
Hi - It's Scott in San Jose. I think you will know the answer to my question. Mine is a 1968 Dodge B body. I noticed the inner seal in the rear end housing then the gasket at the 5 bolt flange. How are the outer axle bearings serviced? Hand pack them like front spindle bearings?

Hi - It's Scott in San Jose. I think you will know the answer to my question. Mine is a 1968 Dodge B body. I noticed the inner seal in the rear end housing then the gasket at the 5 bolt flange. How are the outer axle bearings serviced? Hand pack them like front spindle bearings?
If they are timken cone and roller--------yes

They are. I suppose do that service whenever I would do fronts right?
When was the last time they were serviced? Timkens are pretty tough....well, any cone/tapered roller is pretty tough but imo, Timkens are on top of the heap. Also important to make sure they have some clearance cold. Can't remember the book specs but iirc, .010 to .015" was the recommendation but I usually just made sure there was a hair of play and have never had a problem. If you can 'see' in and out movement, it might be too loose. If you can hear it but not see it....good. .030 or so is way too much. .035 is spark plug gap and that's a lot and way too much.

If left unmaintained, the original Timkens will burn up at around 75k miles. Watched my dad so several sets when I was a kid. He never connected the dots.

While the axle is pulled out, replace both seals.....and, as a personal opinion....REPACK the bearings with an NLG#2 OR #3 SYNTHETIC WHEEL BEARING GREASE......and as others have noted, following FSM procedures, make sure there is 0.008" to 0.010" end play to allow for thermal expansion.......AND if the bearings are worn, replace both the cup (bearing race) AND cone (roller assembly) as a set......DO NOT MIX MATCH PARTS...old cone with new cup and vise versa.........just my opinion of course.....
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back