• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8-3/4 Rear Axle Bearings

You all should stop driving your late model pickup trucks
You mean the pickups that have the bearings that ride directly on the axle shaft instead of using and inner race? Yeah, I have had to replace complete axle shafts along with worn out bearings due to THAT stupid design. And those are still roller bearings, although they run flat rather than being tapered.
Ball bearings? That's a real good GM idea from the 1950s....

You all should stop driving your late model pickup trucks!
WHY?? Many most 3/4 ton trucks have a full floating rear end, where the hub runs on a spindle with tapered bearings and the driving axle member has a separate bearing assembly. Your statment neans nothing without additional information.....
BOB RENTON
You mean the pickups that have the bearings that ride directly on the axle shaft instead of using and inner race? Yeah, I have had to replace complete axle shafts along with worn out bearings due to THAT stupid design. And those are still roller bearings, although they run flat rather than being tapered.
Ball bearings? That's a real good GM idea from the 1950s....
The GM idea used DUPLEX ANGULAR CONTACT BEARINGS which are entirely different design a single row ball bearing. This is when GM made their own bearings as in Delco/New Departure/Hyatt (DNH) manufacturing division. Regarding the 3/4 ton truck rear end assembly, the brake drum/hub runs on a hollow spindle with tapered bearing assembly with a separate driving axle to the gear carrier connected to the brake drum hub. YES....you can run a bearing assembly directly on a shaft IF the shaft has been hardened to a higher Rockwell number than the bearing race or roller running area....I've done exactly that in industry on a 75 ton crane hoist drive's main speed reducer....
BOB RENTON

WHY?? Many most 3/4 ton trucks have a full floating rear end, where the hub runs on a spindle with tapered bearings and the driving axle member has a separate bearing assembly. Your statment neans nothing without additional information.....
BOB RENTON

The GM idea used DUPLEX ANGULAR CONTACT BEARINGS which are entirely different design a single row ball bearing. This is when GM made their own bearings as in Delco/New Departure/Hyatt (DNH) manufacturing division. Regarding the 3/4 ton truck rear end assembly, the brake drum/hub runs on a hollow spindle with tapered bearing assembly with a separate driving axle to the gear carrier connected to the brake drum hub. YES....you can run a bearing assembly directly on a shaft IF the shaft has been hardened to a higher Rockwell number than the bearing race or roller running area....I've done exactly that in industry on a 75 ton crane hoist drive's main speed reducer....
BOB RENTON
I have had to replace axles with grooves cut in them by worn out bearings. Much more expensive than just replacing a bearing with an inner race. This is 1/2 ton, not the full floaters like 3/4 ton and bigger trucks.

You're removing and pressing back on bearings either way you look at it to change that seal. Do it right, do it once...to last for the rest of your lifetime. Put Timkens back on..
Best advice.

Referring to post #17 [ Thanks, Bob ]. These green brgs are the same type as GM used back in the 60s on Buick-Olds-Pontiac. They stopped using them because they were [a] dangerous & failed quickly.
The problem is that the grease dries out from the heat & then the brg fails. The inner race will spin on the axle & the axle walks itself out...Ruins the axle as well.
My GTO came with these brgs. What I did: there is a space between the brg & the inner seal. I drill into the axle housing between this space & fit a grease fitting; inner seal is removed from the brg. I pump some grease in when greasing ball joints etc, so brg gets fresh grease.

Referring to post #17 [ Thanks, Bob ]. These green brgs are the same type as GM used back in the 60s on Buick-Olds-Pontiac. They stopped using them because they were [a] dangerous & failed quickly.
The problem is that the grease dries out from the heat & then the brg fails. The inner race will spin on the axle & the axle walks itself out...Ruins the axle as well.
My GTO came with these brgs. What I did: there is a space between the brg & the inner seal. I drill into the axle housing between this space & fit a grease fitting; inner seal is removed from the brg. I pump some grease in when greasing ball joints etc, so brg gets fresh grease.
How many times have you seen, or heard of, a car having a rear wheel and axle come out. It happened twice to people I knew when I was a kid in high school, and we would beat on our old early 60's "hot rods". And how many times have you seen pictures or video of cars loosing axles or wheels at the staging lights at drag strips? Seems like it's usually GM vehicles.....

You're removing and pressing back on bearings either way you look at it to change that seal. Do it right, do it once...to last for the rest of your lifetime. Put Timkens back on..
View attachment 1450566View attachment 1450567View attachment 1450569View attachment 1450570View attachment 1450571View attachment 1450572
Looks familiar, got this done yesterday, with the help of my Son !!!
0425231231.jpg
0425231237.jpg
0425231244b.jpg
0425231307a.jpg
0425231307c.jpg
0425231309.jpg

New Timkins ready to go back in !!!

How many times have you seen, or heard of, a car having a rear wheel and axle come out. It happened twice to people I knew when I was a kid in high school, and we would beat on our old early 60's "hot rods". And how many times have you seen pictures or video of cars loosing axles or wheels at the staging lights at drag strips? Seems like it's usually GM vehicles.....
That's why at a certain point you must use a c clip eliminator kit. Which is a fancy way of saying a press on ball bearing.

Answer to post #27: I have seen it twice......which is 4 times too many.....
Once, with a friend down the road who had luckily slowed down for a roundabout.
Other time, driver was on a back road & just about to enter a 110kph freeway when the axle walked out...
For such a simple fix, why wouldn't you do it??
C-clip axles are totally different, used on Chevs [ not B-O-P ]. The inner race runs directly on the axle. About 1970, B-O-P upgraded this poor design to a tapered roller brg. Sound familiar?

I put them back in today, should be ready for as long as I own it !!!
21249.jpeg

Last edited:
Early spring inspection on my Challenger, turned up a few needs for repair. One is the right rear axle seal. Looks like the bearing needs to come off, to replace the outer seal, so I'm considering going to the "green" bearings, and eliminate the adjustment set. Anyone been running these, and Pros or Cons ? We put these in my Son's Duster, years ago, but the car hasn't seen much usage. Looking for some feedback, Thanks...View attachment 1450537
Leave it origional I never seen the Stock
IMG_2711.jpeg
Roller Bearings Fail!
So, as I am understanding it. The green bearings are fine. As long as you drive your car easy. Don't go around curves too fast. Hmmmm...
I live in the mountains. No thanks.
now h y oh are thinking! I would never use Green Bearings !
Not familiar with the 'green' brgs. Are they a sealed ball or roller brg, seals both sides with grease inside?
They are Marbles! Roller Bearings are by far better!

IMG_1684.png

IMG_2574.jpeg

IMG_2577.jpeg

IMG_2576.jpeg

IMG_2575.jpeg

Leave it origional I never seen the StockView attachment 1547521 Roller Bearings Fail!

now h y oh are thinking! I would never use Green Bearings !

They are Marbles! Roller Bearings are by far better!

View attachment 1547516

View attachment 1547517

View attachment 1547518

View attachment 1547519

View attachment 1547520
All bearings ARE NOT THE SAME....IT DEPENDS ON APPICATION, LOADS IMPOSED BOTH AXIAL AND RADIAL, RPM, TEMPERATURE, LUBRICATION, DIMENSION REQUIREMENTS.
All bearings are not just marbles as you note. The MOPAR OEM bearings were TIMKEN TAPERED ROLLER BEARINGS..."Green" bearings are single row BALL BEARING with seals.....compare bearing loads at operating conditions and its L-10 not be bearing costs...it's like comparing apples and oranges...they're not the same.....just my opinion...
BOB RENTON

Jesus Bob... read it again. He called Greens "Marbles"! Even those that agree with your "opinion" get a lecture.

Jesus Bob... read it again. He called Greens "Marbles"! Even those that agree with your "opinion" get a lecture.
Perhaps I missed the point that he was trying to make.....what did the term "marbles" was supposed represent or mean??....specifics are important......
BOB RENTON

Maybe Bob doesn't get quotes on his particular computer.

Seriously if you are taking Corners, Greenies won’t work and make handling terrible I am talking from a lot of experience. Now if it’s a Track Car going Straight and you like replacing Bearings every now and then go for it! Just my opinion! Go ahead and drive straight every were you go! There’s your lecture wise asses!

Last edited:
For how many years did Ford and GM use ball bearings in their rear ends and were they a problem?

For how many years did Ford and GM use ball bearings in their rear ends and were they a problem?
It depends on WHERE the bearing is located.....is it on the differential carrier assembly or the pinion shaft, where the coveted Ford 9" used three bearings: the carrier used bearings on the sides....with a ball bearing on the pinion nose to control the separating forces of the pinion gear tooth/ring gear interface....?? Just asking so I can better understand .....ball bearings are great but depends on the application.
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back